1

My dearest Laurens,

I have only one thing that, if I die out there in battle, the people of America will not know. I'm not sure how to phrase it, and I'm not sure if I can tell anyone, but if I do tell someone, it will be you. I guess what I am trying to say is-

I silently crumple the paper into a tight ball, and toss it into the fire. No one can find this. It's so cheesy, and not accepted by the general public. What am I doing? I clamber back into my cot, to join the rest of my fellow soldiers in their dreamless slumbers. Before I hit the hay, I sneak a look at my good friend John Laurens, and fall asleep with a smile. 

---

I wake up to shouting. I grab my gun and run outside. The shouting turns into screaming and gunshots. Oh, shit. This can't be good. I start analyzing the terrain, the enemy positions, and our own (lack of) men. And I find a loophole, a place where, if we strike now, we can win.

"Hey, Laurens! C'mere!" I wave him over. I could do something right. I could end this battle at the start. "If you get those guys over there," I wave loosely to a group of men over to our left, "And send them in right in that pocket over there-" As I point to an empty section of field that the British left empty, John jumps a little as he understands what I'm saying and runs off to do his duty. I feel my face go red. Some day, I think to myself, I'm gonna tell him.

After a while of protecting what's ours, the battle ends. We won. Just as I'd planned. Our troops celebrate tonight at a pub nearby, and I meet up with the rest of the guys from New York (AN: I don't know how this happened don't ask questions). We all get a drink.

"Heyyyy Alexander!! Oh, and Laurens, yo, man!!" Lafayette stumbles towards the pub door as Laurens and I walk in. Hercules Mulligan steps carefully behind his drunken friend, wary that he will pass out and fall over. 

"Hey, Laf. You alright there, buddy?" Laurens, always a good person, watches out for his friend from France.

"Yeah," He slurs, "I just gotta sit- um.. sit.. ah, down. That's the word." He slides into a chair, and closes his eyes. Herc wipes his brow.

"Thank God. I've been following him around for an hour." He sits on a bar stool at a table right next to Laf, still looking cautious and keeping an eye out. I then realize my surroundings.  I've had a bad track record with beer, always saying things I don't remember. But then a glass is in my hand and I'm laughing (AN: Laffing lmao I'm so funny) with the guys, same old routine. I must have said something I didn't mean too, because the crowd goes silent and John's face turns red. I run off in the direction of the bathroom. Herc chases after me.

"Herc, what did I say?!" I say, face warm and pulsing with every heartbeat.

"Well, you kinda confessed your undying love for Laurens out there dude. Luckily only the four of us heard it. Unluckily, Laurens was one of the four of us." He grimaces at me, obviously feeling my nervousness radiating off of me. "Don't worry though. You remember that John never remembers anything the next morning." I sigh. He's right. I just hope that pattern continues. For once, I don't want to confess my secrets to my papers. For once, I don't want to write like I'm running out of time.