4

I just stood in the doorway, in shock. Usually, when a soldier gets shot down, I feel bad, but nothing compares to the mental shock and the drop in my stomach when I saw what I saw. Soldiers rush out, around me, around him, and run to defend our territory, but I just stand.
"...L-Laurens..." I whisper. The man lies limp on the ground. "Laurens... LAURENS!!" He doesn't respond. I pick him up and carry him back into the barracks, placing him gently on a bed. I don't know how to heal him, but there he lies, helpless. There's nothing I can do, but I sit down next to him anyways, trying to make him feel safe. There's no response. Several minutes go by, and I start to cry. I should've never joined the war. I never wanted to see anyone die. Not Laurens. Not like this. A tear rolls off of my face and hits him square on the nose. I close my eyes and scream internally, just wanting him to wake back up.
"Alexander..?" A weak voice calls. "Alexander?!" I look down.
"Laurens! You woke up! You're alive! Just stay alive, that would be enough." I smile at him. He's alive.
"Alex, why... You should be out there fighting! They need you!" Laurens, always worried about the war, scolds me and my lack of activity.
"You're right. I should go out there right away." I turn and start for the doorway.
"No, wait!" I mean, yes they need your help, but I'd rather you stay here... I don't want to be alone."
"I... Okay. I'll stay." I can't say no to him, I don't want to say no to him.
"Can I tell you something? While I'm still alive?" He stares at a chair, obviously nervous.
"Yeah, but don't talk like that. You're gonna live through this. I promise. Soon somebody will be in to help." I hope. Dear God somebody better help him. Soon.
"Well, um... I-" At the exact moment John's secrets were almost unfolded, a cannon ball tore straight (AN: ™) through the building where we were sitting. (Why? Because I wanted to that's why) Shouts of "ALEX!" And "JOHN!" Were heard as we ducked for cover, I was sheltering Laurens underneath a bed. A moment passes, then a little more, and I look out from under the bed. The place where we once sat was covered in scraps of wood and debris. We would've been dead.
"Alex?" I turn my head back to look at the small man with the ponytail (seriously why does everyone have a ponytail?). "I..." He scratches his head and looks around the room, avoiding eye contact.
"My dear Laurens, you can tell me whatever you want." Did I seriously call him DEAR? What was I thinking? I nod at him, climbing out from under the bed. He follows.
"I-I... I love you." His face immediately flushes, and he starts to cry.
"Laurens, Laurens don't cry!" I pull him in to my chest. "It's ok, Laurens. I like you a lot."