Chapter 3

One month later...

Malik looked to his daughter with her Barbies as he said, "Poochie, get up and go get dressed. Gram is taking you to the park. I've gotta get going and I'm not leaving until I'm sure you're getting your little butt dressed."

She kissed her little teeth together and stomped upstairs as she said something under her breath. He shook his head and sat waiting. Gram came to the top of the stairs and motioned for him to go ahead & leave. He huffed out a long breath as he snatched his keys up and headed for the door as he checked his vibrating phone to see it was Alya calling.

"Hello," he called into the phone as he lowered himself into his Bentley.

"Alya's in the hospital," came Dedria's voice through the line.

Malik froze.

"She was attacked in her home last night upon return from the airport while Ruckus was outside," she explained over sobs.

He didn't reply. He just waited to hear which hospital before hightailing it there.
.
.
.
Dedria looked up as footsteps came hurrying down the hall. She gagged mentally upon seeing Malik. She didn't actually expect his ass to come. He stopped in front of her and she looked him over. All white Jordans, khaki cargo shorts & a white collared shirt. She remembered Alya saying they were going to go bowling or something.

"Dedria," he called to her when she didn't speak. "How is she?"

She pointed to the door next to her as she said, "Waiting for you."

He stepped over to the door and eased inside before closing it behind him. Alya jumped at the sound but quickly calmed down as she noticed who it was.

"This is not the best way to skip out on me wearing your ass out at the bowling alley," he teased.

She looked away and he rushed to her as he said, "I'm sorry. That was stupid of me to say."

He took her hand in his as he sat next to her bed and she slowly turned over to face him. He noticed the bandage on her arm. But she quickly covered it.

"I didn't think you'd actually come," she whispered.

He shrugged as he said, "We were supposed to spend some time together today. A hospital bed isn't going to stand in the way of that."

She smiled slightly that time and he eased closer, gaining a quick warning growl from Ruckus who sat close by. Malik nodded to the dog and looked back to Alya.

"Are you hurting," he found himself asking

"Just my feelings," she replied as she stared into his eyes. "I got some pain meds if I need them. But I'm not in any real pain. Malik, I don't want you to worry about me. I'll be fine. I'm moving into a more secure home as we speak. And I'm sure the police will find him."

Malik's eyes narrowed as he repeated, "Him?"

She nodded as she said, "I heard his voice. He kept calling me Lisa and Alya. But my book fans don't know me by Alya. They called me Miss Wright or Jetta. I used my dead sister's name to author my books. I don't know how he knew my name."

Malik mentally filed that away before he replied, "Let's not talk about it right now. Let's talk about how the rest of your tour went."

She gave a small smile and he smiled back. They began talking about her shows and the women and her book sales and how she was going to take a break from touring for awhile. They talked about Malik's daughter and him possibly getting her a pet. They talked about whatever they could to get Alya's mind off her attack until visiting hours were up.

Malik rose to his feet and leaned down to Alya, placing a kiss to her temple as he said, "One day. I have to be careful who I bring around Poochie. But one day hopefully y'all get to meet."

She smiled as she yawned, "I understand."

He smiled and headed for the door as he said, "Get some rest. I'll stop by tomorrow."

"Goodnight," she called to his back.

"Goodnight," he threw over his shoulder before slipping out of the room.

He hurried to his car and sent Alya's name and birthday to his assistant for Alya's address. She soon texted him the address and he sped over. He just couldn't shake from his mind how the man thought she was Lisa from her book but also called her by her actual name if no one was supposed to know it. Something was up and he was going to find out what.

He walked into the house to see it almost completely void of any signs Alya was here. He walked into the bedroom to the right of the kitchen and noticed a muddy area in the corner of her walk-in closet. Along with some tracks throughout the room. So he knew whoever he was he waited in here for her.

Malik walked around the perimeter of the closet until something caught his eyes. He bent down and picked up the small paper. He turnt it over to see a masked woman sitting on a red silk sheet. He turned it over again but the back was empty. He placed it in his shirt pocket intending to have a friend of his look into it.

"Shit!"

Malik turned in time to see a man run out of the bedroom. He rushed after him, getting outside in time to see a car speeding down the street before rounding the corner. He took a mental note that the car was blue and had a missing taillight before walking back into the house. He looked around to see a note on the kitchen counter. That hadn't been there before.

He snatched it up and it was printed.

I know who you are. I can't wait to finish our date. See you around when things aren't so hot my little naughty girl.

Malik crumpled the paper and headed back out to his car. He had to find out who the fuck this crazy ass person was and also how the fuck he was going to keep Alya safe until then. First things first was setting her up somewhere he knew would be safe for her.

Quvenzhané Wallis pictured as Hayden