Chapter 4

Malik laughed as he watched Alya struggle to get Ruckus out of her pool. In the past four months the dog literally would not leave her side. Except when they stepped into her new backyard and he had access to the pool. Ruckus refused to get out.

"Ruckus, get your ass out now," she screamed as she grabbed onto his collar.

He twisted away and swam to the other side of the pool as she stomped her foot and threw her hands up.

"You are the worst damn guard dog," she shouted at him.

She walked over to Malik and slapped his head as she sat down and pouted.

"It ain't funny!"

He burst out laughing and watched as she crossed her arms over her chest and mugged him. He grinned as he pulled her onto his lap against her protesting. She sat stiff with her arms still cross as he wrapped his arms around her.

"Let him have some fun," he said with a slight chuckle. "All he does is guard you. I think I can handle it for a little while so he can take a little break."

She rolled her eyes at him and sucked her teeth. He hugged her and kissed her cheek.

"I wanna ask you something," he announced hesitantly.

She looked at him with a what is it face. He stared at her. He didn't understand what was going on with him. He'd never been nervous around a woman. But Alya was unpredictable. And so were her reactions to his actions. He looked into those bright chocolate eyes and smiled.

"I wanted to know if you want to take a chance at more than just a friendship with me," he finally confessed.

She was silent. She stared at him in shock. He knew she liked him. She flirted when he did and sometimes he caught her checking him out. But what he didn't know is whether or not she wanted a relationship with him. The one time they'd kissed several months back she had avoided him for nearly a month. But he was ready to actually start exclusively dating her. Unpredictability and all. All she had to do was say yes.

"Alya," he called to her.

Her face slowly spread in a smile and she nodded her head as she said, "I'd love that, Malik."

He grinned and hugged her to him. And she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"You know I'm gone kiss you all the time now right," he asked with a chuckle.

She pulled away and lightly pressed her lips to his before pulling back. He smiled and shook his head.

"Nah," he said as he ran his hand to the back of her neck. "More like this."

He pressed his lips firmly to hers and flicked his tongue at her lips, asking for entry. She slowly parted her lips and his tongue darted over hers. She melted against him and he smiled to himself as he stood with her in his arms.

Suddenly Alya felt herself falling and screamed upon impact with the water. Malik laughed as she splashed around before standing in the water. She glared at him.

"Oh I'm going to kill you," she growled as she sloshed toward the stairs. "These shoes were six hundred dollars. I'm gonna murder you."

He laughed as he said, "I'll buy you more."

She stalked out of the pool toward him and gripped his shirt. He looked down at her soaked from head to toe. He laughed and she smirked evilly before throwing herself backwards into the pool, pulling him along with her. He quickly splashed to his feet as she surfaced laughing.

Dedria walked out to Alya's backyard and rolled her eyes when she saw that Malik was there. She stood next to the pool and tapped her foot. Alya stumbled out of the pool laughing as Malik scrambled behind her.

"Hey Dee," she called with a goofy smile on her face.

Dedria scoffed and replied, "Alya, you have got to be out of your damn mind. You back here playing around in the damn pool fully dressed when you have a book signing in less than three hours! What the fuck is wrong with you?!"

Alya stood up straight and put her hand on her hip as she said, "Hold up! Dee, you need to watch who you talking to like that! I was just having some fun. Chill."

Malik watched as Dedria flared her nostrils then put her hands up as she said, "You do you then, Alya. I don't care. Escuse me for always looking out for you."

Alya scoffed as she said, "You have got to be kidding me! You looking out for me? Were you looking out for me when you blurted out where I hide my key at the meet and greet before I was attacked? Or when you disappeared the entire time I was in the hospital allowing paparazzi and who knows who else to get access to my room? Or how about most recent when you threw a tantrum and left in MY car, leaving me at an event surrounded by crazy ass fans."

Dedria rolled her eyes as she said, "Whatever. I've been there for you more than this lil wannabe attorney you out here playing with. But you still putting him before me and our work!"

Alya stomped off as she said, "You acting like a fucking jealous lover or some shit!"

"I do love you," Dedria blurted freezing Alya in her tracks and causing Malik's eyes to bulge.

Alya turned to face her and Dedria continued, "I have always loved you. I thought maybe one day we would be together. Until this asshole popped up!"

Alya shook her head before saying, "Dee, I love you. But like a sister. You've been my best friend since I could walk. But I do not look at you or any woman that way. I'm not lesbian or even bisexual!"

Dedria scoffed as she said, "You always used to cuddle with me. We spent days sleeping in the same bed. You even said you would screw Taraji P. Henson! But you're not lesbian?!"

Alya rolled her eyes as she said, "Do you hear yourself?! We didn't cuddle! You laid in my bed crying over god-knows-what from our childhood as if yours was so much worse than mine. And girls share a bed during slumber parties all the time. And it was a fucking joke about an actress I think is cool and beautiful! I don't actually want to sleep with or be with her! Or you!"

Dedria glared at her as she slowly nodded.

"Cool," she began. "But trust me Malik here ain't who you think he is. We protected each other our entire childhood. From our abusive mothers. Our disgusting fathers. Sleeping in abandoned buildings together every time they attacked us. You think this nigga would've did all that for you?!"

Alya didn't respond. She caught the shock in Malik's eyes. She threw her hand up and walked off as she said, "Get out Dee. I'll meet you at the book signing. And leave your scorned lover act at home. You not finna mess up my money."

Dedria glared at Malik and spat, "This is your fault."

She took off and he looked to Alya's bedroom window. She was undressing. He wanted to talk to her about what had just been said. But apparently that would have to wait. So he left through the side gate to head home to get cleaned up.

Ruckus pictured in the MM.