8-Incalescent

Just wanted to say three years ago today I joined Wattpad so happy three year anniversary to me and Wattpad. Thank you to anyone who has read my books and followed I love you guys. Also, my birthday is tomorrow so I decided to update today!

Incalescent: increasing in heat or ardor.

Ember paced the room, causing a draft on Cyrus' feet. He threw his head in his hands and groaned in frustration, making Cyrus worry for his mental state.

"Why do I need to leave? It's just your mother," Cyrus said, feeling puzzled to this whole situation. "I mean, it's not like she's Detrius or anything."

Ember gave Cyrus a side glance. "You do not know my mother. If she comes here and finds you, just a useless Elementless human, casually strolling around my apartment; she'll disown me and banish you from Elentia forever."

The words stung Cyrus. It was as if Ember's words were a paper cut; small words, but enough to cause pain. It sliced a thin cut over his heart, leaving him exposed. Cyrus felt a lump growing in his throat, his cheeks hurting from trying to fight back the tears piling in his eyes. They threatened to spill over as he backed up from the Firing boy in front of him. Cyrus needed to leave, he couldn't bare to be around Ember much longer. His heart felt like an anchor, slowly sinking into the bottom of his stomach.

Cyrus eyed the door, and Ember watched with sorry eyes. Cyrus shook his head, darting for the exit and just like that, he was gone, the door slamming shut behind him. Ember's eyes were glued to the door, regret washing over him.

He sighed, rubbing his temples to try and relieve some of his tension. That didn't last long once his mother burst through the door without so much as a knock. Fotia spotted her son and quickly made her way over to him with a small piece of paper in her hand and a small, metallic briefcase in the other. Fotia Esparza was a quipped woman, her sharp features making her look even more intimidating than she already was. She was curvy, stout, and average height even though she wore designer four inch heels. Her long black hair was pinned up into a bun and she wore a skin tight maroon dress which accentuated her curves.

"Stop scowling, you'll get frown lines." She pestered. Ember rolled his eyes behind her back and then turned to her with a pleasant look. She gave an approving nod before slamming the briefcase down on the table, unlatching it and letting the lid fall open. Inside were manilla files, an SD card, and photos taken of Detrius' destroyed cell. "This is the information the Constituency has gathered. We don't know of his whereabouts and we can't track him on the Locater. Although, we did find a note and gathered footage of the day Detrius escaped." Fotia grabbed the SD and Ember slid his laptop over to his mother. She slid the card into the slot and on the screen was video footage of the Underground.

The camera showed a man who didn't look any older than thirty, sitting in his cell. Detrius. But, how was he so much younger than Ember's mother if they were only a few years apart?

Fotia fast forwarded the footage until movement started to appear and she pressed play when all of a sudden, the cell's power restraint barrier collapsed and Detrius summoned all the power built up inside him, to shatter the cell walls. Metal was flying everywhere and one piece flew up towards where the camera had been, cracking the lens and the footage went blank. Fotia looked at the screen in bewilderment.

She closed the laptop, shock written all over her face. Her own brother, who astonishingly still looked the same age as he was when put in the cell (except with lots of facial hair), had somehow escaped and was now roaming around with a diabolical plan set on his mind. Ember watched as his mother paced around the room.