Going Home

Edited
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Hermione, Ron! Come on! I want to see Harry!" I yelled, running down to the hospital wing, once we reached the door Madam Pomfrey sternly told us 'NO VISITORS'.

I stepped away from the door and waited patiently for Ron and Hermione to catch up. As soon as I was going to tell them we can't see him, the door swung open to reveal Madam Pomfrey again.

"Five minutes only!" She sighed, stepping aside to allow us to enter.

My heart jerked when I saw Harry lying on the bed, he locked eyes with me and broke out into a grin.

"Harry!" I said running towards him, I reached out to hug him, but pulled back when I saw him wince.

"Oh, Harry, we were sure you were going to - Dumbledore was so worried-" Hermione said.

"The whole school's talking about it," Ron said. "What really happened?"

Harry told us everything: Quirrell; the mirror; the Stone; and Voldemort. I could tell Harry thought we were a good audience; we would gasp in all the right places, and when Harry told us what was under Quirrell's turban, Hermione screamed, and I pretend fainted.

"So the Stone's gone?" Ron said. "Flamel's just going to die?"

"That's what I said, but Dumbledore thinks that - what was it? - 'to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.' " Harry quoted.

"I always said he was off his rocker," Ron said.

"So what happened to you two?" Harry asked.

"We got back all right," I said, blushing as I remembered what had played out in the trapdoor. "I brought Ron round - that took a while - and Hermione went up to the owlery to contact Dumbledore but we met him in the entrance hall - he already knew - he just said , "Harry's gone after him, hasn't he? Then he hurtled off to the third floor."

"D'you think he meant to do it? Sending you your father'd cloak and everything?" Ron asked.

"We'll," Hermione exploded, "if he did - I mean to say - that's terrible - you could have been killed."

"No, it isn't," Harry said thoughtfully. "He's a funny man, Dumbledore. I think he sort of wanted to give me a chance. I think he knows more or less everything that goes on here, you know. I reckon he had a pretty good idea we were going to try, and instead of stopping us, he just taught us to help. I don't think it was an accident he let me find out how the mirror worked. It's almost like he thought I had the right to face Voldemort if I could. . . "

"Yeah, Dumbledore's off his rocker all right," Ron said. "Listen, you've got to be up for the end-of-the-year feast tomorrow. The points are in Slytherin won of course-"

At that moment Madam Pomfrey burst in.

"You've had nearly fifteen minutes, now OUT," she said firmly.

Everyone was at the feast. I kept looking over to the door to see if Harry would come. As the time ticked I came to realise that he wouldn't be coming. but once again I had spoke too soon, since the moment I thought it he entered right through the door.

He gave me a bright smile as he say next to me. Everything around the hall was Slytherin, over at the Slytherin table sat Draco Malfoy with a triumphant look upon his face. Dumbledore arrived moments later, making the babbled die away.

"Another year gone!" Dumbledore said cheerfully. "And I must trouble you with an old man's wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year this has been! Hopefully your heads are all a little fuller than they were . . . You have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts. . . . Now as I understand it, the house cup here needs awarding, and the points stand thus: in fourth place, Gryffindor, with three hundred and twelve points; in third, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two; Ravenclaw has four hundred and twenty-six and Slytherin, four hundred and seventy-two."