5. expiry

This is the updated/revised version of Attraction

Caked spunk is horribly inconvenient, especially if the culprit stains you all over as if marking their property. I scratched my chest and regretted it instantly. This guy had it all wrong if he thought I would stick around. Sure, I usually enjoyed a round of cuddling and whispers of promises never to be fulfilled, but something about this particular one night stand rubbed me the wrong way. Or maybe it wasn't this particular one. Since I got my panties in a bunch with that Tom character over a month ago, fooling around hadn't held the same appeal.

I stared up at the plain ceiling and wondered if the guy next to me would rise from his coma if I sneaked out. His breaths were even, but his eyebrows kept twitching as if he were dreaming. He was kind of adorable, but Spunky had a few lessons in manners to learn—such as not making it awkward to ask for a freaking condom. I huffed and scooted away, making sure not to wake him up.

The apartment was of the tiny kind, cozy but cramped. The bed was about a meter away from the kitchen, and the bathroom door had to be closed if you wanted to cook dinner. There was no way I could have used the shower without making a mess of the situation. Of course, I was already a mess. A chuckle betrayed my tired amusement. This walk of shame would be one to remember.

On my way out, I stopped by the mirror and checked for obvious signs of leftovers. Nothing showed, and with one last glance over my shoulder, I turned the handle and walked away, grinning as I imagined his annoyance in the morning when he realized that I'd stolen his orange juice. It worked wonders as a mouthwash when nothing else was available. Clearly, the guy's hygiene habits left a lot to be desired.

The street outside was busy with life, but the otherwise familiar city sounds echoed with a strange kind of emptiness. I thought I had left that emptiness behind me when I left Stockholm, but some days, I wasn't exactly sure what I'd fled or what I had found instead. Perhaps I was still looking for that something I'd never been able to find before. It was too bad that I had no idea what that something was. It kept eluding me, sneaking away whenever I thought I'd gotten close.

* * * *

"Sweet cheeks, I'm coming over," I hollered as Chris answered the call with a groan. I had returned to my apartment, showered, and decided that I couldn't stand the place. Then I'd had the most fabulous idea because Adam was finally in town. I had texted Adam's boyfriend about the party already so it was a done deal.

Chris groaned. "Why are you so freaking happy in the morning?"

"I'm excited because it's Saturday, and we're going to have an awesome day together." I turned a corner and saw Chris' building a few hundred meters away. He was getting a surprise, and making him happy would help me forget all about Spunky.

"I have plans..." he replied, but I caught the lie. He was a terrible liar, after all.

"Now you have plans. But it's a surprise." I took the last sip from my take away cappuccino and discarded the paper cup in the next trash can while Chris ranted in my ear. He would come around as soon as I told him about the surprise.

"Stop whining, I'm at yours in a minute."

Chris sighed in defeat. "Fine. Just don't make me go shopping or something like that."

I gasped for effect. "I would never."

"Yes you would."

Okay, maybe he was right, but this Saturday was not meant for shopping. This was a day to forget my sullen thoughts and uncomfortable loneliness. Nothing beats a slump like a day with great friends.