27. other meetings (new)

This is an entirely new chapter of Attraction, enjoy :)

The house was stirring in the early hours, the walls resounding with carefree laughter. I recalled how I'd always lain awake on my birthdays, waiting for Mom and Dad to visit my room with a tray of breakfast, a slice of cake and presents. My sister would jump up on the bed, bouncing around with joy. She'd never been a jealous person. She'd never demanded presents when I got them. Instead, she'd waited patiently for her own birthday.

When she'd turned six, Mom and Dad had given her a new bike. I had a feeling she'd already known because she'd snuck into the garage to peek beneath the blanket they'd used as cover. Or at least that was my suspicion, since she'd exited the garage with a big smile on her face. I wondered if Anath was getting a bike.

Tom grunted behind me. It had been too warm to spoon throughout the night, but I'd scooted closer the second I woke up.

"What time is it?"

I reached for my phone that I'd thrown on the floor beside the sofa last night. "Eight am. I guess we better get up."

"Is this what you get with children?" he asked. "Early mornings on weekends.

"It's her birthday. What did you expect?"

"I don't know. More hours of sleep maybe."

I tried to remember what the party invite on Instagram had said. When I couldn't recall the time, I checked the photo again. "The invite is for one o'clock. Do you think the family will arrive before then?"

"I hope not."

"Are you ready for this?"

"No. But that doesn't change anything."

I admired his determination. Facing Luke had been hard enough for him, and according to him, Luke had never been a part of the verbal abuse he'd encountered as a teen. Meeting his family, confronting them after more than a decade of silence, could potentially become a disaster. But I was here to hold his hand if he needed it. I would even go as far as staying away to make it easier.

"But Luke and Lizzy is on your side, right?"

"Yes, but it's hard to say what they will do if things get complicated. They live here. They need to be on good terms with the family. I would never ask them to risk anything for me. Not after I left like I did."

"You know, that's their choice, not yours."

"I won't let them."

I sighed, knowing it was unlikely that he would change his mind. He had a protective streak that was hard to break.

"Let's see if we can use their shower," I suggested. We had to get out of bed eventually, and the heat had me soaked in sweat.

Tom sighed for what must have been the tenth time since we arrived in Smithfield. "Whatever happens today, remember that we're going home together. You and me."

I smiled, warmed by the reassurance. "I know."

* * * *

Anath was running around the house together with the dog, both of them equally excited. We'd helped to prepare for the buffet, and the sense of doom had stayed moderately under wraps. I could tell that everyone apart from Anath was on edge, though.

Lizzy slapped a wet dish towel against the sink. "I hope no one will be early. I don't know how we'll get this ready in time. I'm not even dressed yet."

"Why don't I take care of this?" I eased over to her side, taking the towel from her hands. We'd made a right mess in the kitchen.

"Are you sure?" She eyed me with a badly hidden plea.