Christian

"Phoebe...Phoebeeee...PHOEBE!"

    "Huh. What." I said a little disoriented. Out of my squinted eyes, I can definitely see we are in the dark.  It must be night time.

    What the hell is going on. Where are we. What time was it. I was just about to ask those questions when my foggy brain decided to clear up and actually listen to what my Dad was saying.

    "...so do you want me to get your stuff?"

    "What?"

    "Have you been listening to anything I said since I woke you up?" My Dad said, clearly annoyed.

    "Umm, no?" I reply sheepishly. "Im sorry". I add in as an afterthought.

    "Well, what I was saying", putting a lot of emphasis on saying, "was that we are here and I just texted Jocelyn to tell her that we've arrived. Do you want me to take your stuff in for you or do you think you can handle it?" I know I just woke up but I can handle a few suitcases. He knows I can do it myself. Im stubborn like that.

    "I got it" I reply curtly.

    "Well someone's in a grumpy mood" he mumbles, more to himself I think.

    "What?" He can see I'm aggravated so he says nothing, opting to get out of the car instead. I don't know why I am being so short with him, I guess it's just that everything happened on such short notice and I'm not all that happy about it.

    Ugh, well, as much as I dont want to leave the comfort of my car seat, I should probably just get this over with and go say hi to Jocelyn and meet the son I heard sooo much about (*sarcasm).

    I didn't really check out my surroundings through the window so as soon as I get out of the car, I let a gasp escape my lips.

Gorgeous.

When my Dad said mansion, he wasn't kidding. With the 3 stories, 4 car garage, wood exterior with several balconies, you could probably fit 20 big families in here.

   I look back to see where we came in and I see a large black iron gate at the beginning of the long, black topped driveway.

    The most spectacular aspect is the surrounding forest. I'm going to like it here, knowing there's a forest I can escape to when I need to. I just have to be sneaky about it since I'm not really allowed near the place.

    My dad always tells me to stay away from the woods. He says it's dangerous but I do it anyway. What can I say, I'm stubborn and maybe a little stupid. I never venture too far in though, I always stay to the outskirts where the only animals are mostly deer, rabbits and birds.

    I have this pull to the woods that I can't describe. It's like it's calling me. Every time I go, I get this sense of home, like this is where I belong, not in a house but out in the open. It's my sanctuary; the only place that brings me serenity.

    I break out of my train of thought to the sound of little wheels hitting the black top. I do the same as my dad and bring my wheeled suitcase out of the trunk and bound for the front steps. 

As soon as I enter through the oak and stained glass double doors, I immedeatly regret saying 20 families, 20 is an understatement. Its more like hundreds of families. The interior is ginormous, it's just like what you would imagine when you think old, rustic, mansion.

    Dark wood floors, double curving staircases with a giant fireplace in the middle, surrounded by dark brown leather couches. Oh and there's a huge crystal chandelier dangling above my head. That's not terrifying. Nope, not at all.