Letter No. 17

Dear Lily,

I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster.

I love the thrill it gives me, the chills that run down my spine when we zoom forwards. It's fun, the adrenaline rushes through my blood like it's on it's own rollercoaster.

But this rollercoaster, it's full of surprises, loops, drops, it brings you up just to bring you back down, and I want to get off! I'm scared. People are falling off the rollercoaster, and more are coming on.

I grip your hand tightly, as I can see you're scared, too. But I wasn't holding tightly enough. On the next drop, you fall off. And I can't bring you back up.

I want to get off, I want to get off, I want to get off, I WANT TO GET OFF.

But I can't. I'm strapped in tightly.

Enjoy the ride, they had said. It'll be fun, they said.

But they didn't say that they would bring be back to the top when I was feeling low.

I'm terrified, Lily. I don't have anything but myself to hold onto now and I can feel myself slipping in my seat. The backs of my legs are sweaty, and are making it really hard to stay on.

Is this what you felt before you fell off this rollercoaster?

More people fall off and get on but I can't get off!

I felt myself slipping. Falling. I am falling. Seconds away from hitting the ground.

The rollercoaster is life, and we were two of it's unfortunate players.

Love Andrew.

4b