Background Story

"When I went to college, my family had high hopes for me. They wanted me to become president at some point," Dad started, chewing on his French fries.
I nodded, wanting him to keep going.
"On my first winter break, I decided to stay on campus instead of going home. So, one of my friends called me and said there was a party in one of the dorms."
Uh oh, this was going bad fast.
"I decided to go, and that's where I met your mom," Dad said, pausing for a second.
Ah, yes, my infamous bitchtastic mother. I'll elaborate on her later.
"The first time I saw her, I fell in love. Sadly, love is a strong word, and I used it too soon." He sighed and took a bite of his burger before continuing.
"I got drunk as hell and decided to go talk to her. I don't remember much after that, but I do remember waking up next to her in my bed," Dad said, chuckling.
I smiled faintly before he started again. "We didn't talk much until she told me she was pregnant with you."
I quickly wiped a tear off my face before Dad noticed.
"I was terrified to tell my family that in my four months of being away from home, I had a one night stand and I had a baby on the way. I decided not to come home, and then I could've held off on telling them for a while," He said, looking more and more tired as he talked.
"When you were born nine months later, your mom just left you in front of my dorm door and left. I haven't heard from her since."
At that point, I wasn't even holding back my tears. It always hurt me to know that my mom didn't want me. How could that not hurt a kid, knowing that one of your parents didn't want you?
"So your family still doesn't know about me?" I asked quietly.
Dad sighed before reaching across the table to hold my hand. "No, Bandit, they don't."
Well, somebody's in for a surprise.