Welcome Home

"Hey, Shauna, right?" 
I turned around and smiled a little as I saw Dewey sitting next to me on the steps.
"Yeah. You can just call me Bandit. My dad calls me that because Shauna is too girly," I said.
Dewey laughed and sighed as we both sat next to each other in comfortable silence.
"So, not a huge fan of your newfound grandma, huh?" He asked after a while.
I sighed and put my head in my hands.
"I just don't get why she's so mean to him. I know a large part of it is because he hasn't come to visit or called or anything since I was born, but he was scared. How would you feel if it was you coming home from college with a newborn baby as a single parent?" I asked.
"I don't even have to think about that. I'd be completely terrified. That's an awful call to have to make, but I think he made the right one."
I looked at him in disbelief.
"You do? Really?" I asked.
"I do. He's raised you well, Shauna. You're a mini him, but you're also a better version of him when he was this age. He was a slightly arrogant, annoying brat, and that's only what I let myself remember," Dewey said, making both of us laugh.
"You like music?" He asked, standing up and holding out his hand.
"I love it. I want to be a music producer when I grow up," I grinned, taking his hand and standing up next to him.
Dewey returned my grin and poked his head inside the door.
"Malcolm, I'm stealing your kid! We'll be back tomorrow!" He yelled as he motioned for me to get my backpack.
"Okay!" Dad yelled back, running outside to kiss my forehead.
"I love you, Bandit, be careful. Dewey, you return my kid in anything other than perfect condition, I'll break your face," Dad warned, pointing a finger at him.
"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Have fun getting your new asshole reamed by Mom!" Dewey said, grabbing my hand and running to his car.
I laughed as I chucked my backpack in the backseat and settled into the passenger seat.
Maybe this wasn't going to be as bad as I thought.