Chapter 4: Library Learning

Fakir woke up early. He felt a kink in his neck but he ignored it. He walked over to the bed to see if Ahiru was still asleep. She was cuddled up in the blankets, still sleeping in a mess of red hair. He leaned on the doorway and sighed. How come Drosselmeyer had made Duck the one who had to sacrifice it all...why did he pick her out of anyone, or anything else? He wondered. Maybe it was time he visited the library. He got changed and left a note for Ahiru.

Ahiru woke up and stretched. She'd forgotten how good a bed felt after the two years in the forrest. She jumped out of bed and went into the other room expecting to see Fakir on the floor when she only saw a sleeping bag and the embers of a dead fire. She wondered why he would have left so early this morning? She looked around before she spotted a note taped on the door in his writing.

Went to the Library to look for more about the feather and Drosselmeyer's abilities as a ghost writer. Meet me there if you'd like. ~ Fakir

Ahiru now understood why he'd left so early. The library was always empty in the morning. He'd be able to look for clues without being questioned. She put on a yellow skirt and a crop white teeshirt and socks and prepared to find him there. If Ahiru was human, Ahiru could help.

Fakir had looked at the books on Drosselmyer. Nothing about them said anything about a sequel or another unfinished story? Was it something only he had known about? Or was it even a story? He then turned to the feather. Long and black. What bird was had this long of plumage? Raven's feather's weren't even so long and slender.

"What's that you have? It doesn't look like a book?"

Fakir turned to see Autor standing behind him.

"A feather I found on my doorstep. I wondered what bird it was from."

"I'm no expert on birds but I question why your hoping to find the answer in Drosselmyer books?"

"Just an interest." Fakir held back his true incentive. Autor also failed to remember much of the war against the Raven, let alone his blood line to Drosselmyer. "Did he ever not finish a book before he died?"

"It was rumored that he did. A story about a Prince and Princess..."

"And a duck." Fakir finished.

"I'm not certain there was a duck in it." Autor said, confused by the random add to the character list.

"Trust me there was." Fakir said. "Any other stories?"

"No but in his later years he showed interest in ballets, and the ballets of popular folklore stories that were found in his room."

"Ballets..." Fakir repeated. He knew that there was a reason why they'd been placed in a town with a Ballet Academy...but what did that have to do with the new story? "Any other secrets?"

"Why do you want to know so much?" Autor pushed up his glasses and gave him a suspicious stare.

"I read one of the books. The unfinished one. I was curious what other mysteries surrounded him." Fakir answered. Autor didn't need a part in this story this time...at least not in his opinion.

"Well there was a rumor that he had a notebook...a notebook which he wrote his most primary ideas down, but nobody knows where it went. It disappeared after his death." Autor said. "I've been searching for it for years but I haven't had any leads."

Fakir wondered why Autor hadn't told him this before in the previous story...unless this was Autor's role in this...story...or whatever thing Drosselmeyer had prepared, to tell him now about this book so he could look for it...or so Drosselmeyer could laugh at him trying.