Chapter 12: Brainstorming before the storm

Fakir skipped class today. He knew Ahiru wouldn't mind, considering what she'd said last night. Maybe having another partner would help her with her...well...her dance style changes...or what not. Either way, Drosselmeyer and Swans had been once again on his reading list for most of the day.

Actually the more that he thought about it...it was way too coincidental that their Director also seemed to like the "Swan Princess." Swans. What did Swans have to do with the story though? The girl was a Princess of a Lake in the story but...

"You look even more confused then yesterday."

Fakir looked up and saw Autor again.

"If I said Princess of the Lake what would you say?" Fakir asked.

"You serious? Do you even know the ballet we're dancing in class? Swan Lake? She was the Swan Princess of the Lake."

Fakir felt idiotic. How could he have missed this? What did that mean though in regards to the black feathers...or Drosselmeyer's story...that the girl on the lake that the Knight loved was the Swan Princess? No...it would have said so...plus Drosselmeyer wasn't re-writing a ballet...was he?

"Did the Swan Lake script have an illustration of what the Swan Princess was to wear?"

"Traditionally, its a white feathered tutu and hair piece...but there have been adaptations."

Fakir recalled the description in the book... A girl, graceful...a white dress...a tiara...and a red gem...

"Did it say anything about a red gem?"

"Are you sure your not confusing the story with another? It didn't. Pure white swan with feathers. Some times, even swan feathers were used."

A red gem...

"So...Ahiru didn't have a partner today at class. Why didn't you show? Your the directors other favorite." Autor gave him a look, as he pushed up his glasses.

"She could dance with another partner...I've been a little...preoccupied."

"She refused to actually. You know I kind of liked her, until she got all teachers pet."

"Teachers pet?" Fakir repeated.

"Yea, even on her own today, she refused to dance with anyone else...the Director told her she'd have to practice on her own...and she did..the pas-de-deux on her own. She actually did it...all for that director. Nobody likes suck-ups."

Fakir took it all in. Ahiru could never do the pas-de-deux on her own...the only time she ever had done that was as -

"Princess Tutu!" Fakir said suddenly, eyes wide.

"Gazuntite?" Autor raised a brow.

Maybe it was Princess Tutu that was the Princess in the story...if that was true that meant he could have been the Knight and the Prince may have been Mytho...and the other muse...Rue?

...did that mean...he was written in this prologue to have fallen in love with Princess Tutu? But the Sorcerer who was he...

"Look I don't know what's going on with you, but can you tell that Ahiru girl to give us a chance to take the spot-light...she's really amazing but-"

"Ahiru's not that amazing though. Not the girl I know...and she only has a humble confidence..."

"Well the girl we all know...is clearly Ahiru...look I'm going to leave you to your books. I preferred your Drosselmeyer questions..." Autor left, before rolling his eyes.

Fakir needed to find the pages missing of that story in the notepad...if the preface was written by Drosselmeyer and it didn't have an ending...it could have something to do with what was going on now...there must be something more about the Black Feathers...

"Fakir."

He looked up, about to leave, and saw Ahira. "Sorry I wasn't at practice today I had to look into something today..."

"What?" She asked. She scouted the pages on swans, books on Drosselmeyer and his stories, and noticed the notebook sticking out of his jacket breast pocket.

"I told you last night. I'd figure out what was going on..." Fakir said, wondering why she seemed so clueless. "Autor told me you did the pas-de-deux basically on your own today...I haven't seen you do that since you were Princess Tutu." Fakir challenged her.

"I guess maybe the new me is better adapting...who knows..." Ahira said. Fakir did seem annoyed about her inconsistencies. Good. If confrontation was around the corner, she'd be ready to perform the Sorcerer's plan. She left him to think. She left him, just to leave him questioning whether or not he actually could handle this new Ahiru.