Chapter 6: Swan Lake

Fakir got up as the sun creeped into the window. He closed the books without even looking at them. He'd dreamt about birds all night...or more or less that every one of Drosselmeyer's stories had birds that replaced their human characters...which just reminded him of those creepy ravens. Either way today was their first class with the new director and he figured he'd better wake up Ahiru.

He went to the door of the bedroom and knocked on it. "Ahiru we-" He noticed that the door was open as his knocks had caused it to swing. He looked around and didn't see Ahiru before he heard some grunting...grunting...grunting?!

"Ahiru are you alrigh-" He ran over to the side of the bed, where he quickly diverted his eyes.

"What are you doing in here?!" Ahiru yelled as she scrambled to cover herself.

"What were you doing on the floor?"

"I fell over putting my tights on and I'm trying to get them on without ripping them now! What did you think-" Ahiru defended in her high-pitched voice on the floor.

"I'm sorry." Fakir's face reddened. "I just wanted to make sure you were okay." He left the room as he shut the door behind him distinctively with a small slam. He sighed. Why did he always get in these compramisable situations with Ahiru?

To be honest with himself he'd begun to realize back when Ahiru brought Mytho his heart piece in the cave, how brave she was...and how much he'd grown to admire her for it. He'd noticed how heartfelt she was by how how much she'd cared for him, even when he'd treated her like a child...especially when she thought he'd died fighting the ravens. And how much she'd cared for Mytho...and room enough to still care for Rue and give up her place beside Mytho. To be honesty he'd wondered what had happened in the past for Princess Tutu to fall so desperately for the Prince in the first place? Wait a minute... why...why was Ahiru putting on her leotard here? There were change rooms for that...

Fakir looked at the clock on the wall and he realized he must have slept in too. "We're going to be late!" He too put his dance attire on, and took his uniform and put it in his bag this time, just as Ahiru emerged and he took her hand as he ran off dragging her behind to get to class on time.

"Well I'm glad the new couple could make it." Kagamaii-sensei said as they walked in barely making it on time, just as the clock hit eight.

"Couple? See I knew that new girl was competition for Fakir's heat Pique-chan!" Lilie said with a large smile, as Pique sunk down in her seat.

"Once again I am your new Director Kagamaii, and this is the new comer Ahiru, she'll join us for the rest your years here at the academy. Now...I do hope most of you found a partner for the pas-de-deux we will be practicing within the class?"

After a bit of scrambling the students got into their pairs. "Good." The Director walked through the groups, as Ahiru noticed he never really wore a traditional leotard, but rather a loose button down and stretchy pants.

"Now, I have a certain...how shall we call it...fascination with the tragedy of the tale of Swan Lake...and I feel certain that it has two particular pas-de-deux as well as many complex solos apt for your age group. While the pas-de-deux demand a sort of trust and persuasion that only a couple that truly trusts each other could perform...and the solos demand a certain presence on the stage...we'll be studying most of the pieces from that ballet."

He turned to Fakir and Ahiru. "You two deemed to know the first half of the Prince and Swan Princess' duet quite well in audition...the complete pas-de-deux can run from five to seven minutes. I'd like you two to perform the first half to jog the other's memory of it...if you can handle that?"