Chapter I: The Fawn

"Jenna! Come down for breakfast!"
   Breakfast. As soon as I heard that word, I leapt out of bed. Flinging my covers to the side. Breakfast. My stomach growled at the thought of that word. I pulled open my door as I raced down the hall. The smell of bacon flooded my nostrils as I entered the kitchen. My mother was just finishing up placing the plates at the table when I entered. Her curly black hair was pulled back into a fluffy bun on top of her head.
   "Good morning Mom!" I chirped.
   "Good morning to you too."
   She smiled at me. That warm smile. That smile that would light up a room. She walked to me and embraced me in one of her special bear hugs.
   "Ah!" I giggled,"Too tight!"
   She laughed. I love her laugh. It was always so full of joy. She ended her laugh with that usual snort. That was when my laughed kicked in. My cackle that my mom always said reminded her of a hyena. She began to laugh again. Just us two. Filled with laughter.

   Something cold and wet hit my face. I screamed as I woke up from my dream.
   "Mornin' brat."
   My eyes strained to look up at the man holding an empty bucket. I knew his face, but I never cared to remember his name. All I needed to remember was that crooked nose.
   "There's a big day ahead of you today, so no sleeping in."
   "Not like I'm allowed to sleep in," I thought to myself,"but what's even the point of waking up early. I don't even do anything of importance."
   My thoughts left me as I felt pain strike my cheek.
   "Don't you go lookin' at me like that."
   He glowered down at me as my head turned back to look at him with my usual blank stare.
   "Tch. Just get dressed."
   He threw some clothes at me as he turned and left the room. The audible slam of the door used to cause me to jump. Now, nothing seems to phase me. I stared down at the clothes then proceeded to close my eyes. I thought hard as I tried to recall my dream.
   "Breakfast..."