Chapter X: Distracted

The car ride was peaceful. Like he had first suggested, the ride did oddly soothe me. Just looking out the window and watching the trees whizz by as he drove. I found myself mesmerized by scene. I honestly didn't realize how deep in the woods we were until now. It all just seemed endless to me.
I laid my head against the window. The chill felt nice against my forehead. My eyes looked away from the trees to look at my reflection in the car mirror. Even after being well rested, my eyes still looked sunken, something I wish would've vanished overnight, and my brown hair was frizzy and untamed. I stroked a strand between my fingertips.
"I was so scared about all this just being a trap that I didn't think to brush my hair," I looked over at him,"I wished he would've said something."
I gave him an aggravated pout, but he didn't notice.
"He sure is focused... I wonder who exactly is this guy?"
We only recently found a sure way to communicate, but I still wished I knew more about this stranger. At the very least I wish I knew him name.
"My name is Alexsander."
Not only his voice shook me from my thoughts, but also his timing. I stared at him with wide eyes. I waited for him to say something else.
"Is he going to say something else?"
I waited a few more moments then I squeaked an "eh" to try to grab his attention.
"You gotta give me more than that!"
I squeaked another "eh."
He heaved a frustrated sigh in response,"That's all I am saying for now until we can actually sit down and talk. Might I remind you that I don't know your name."
"He must be a firm believer in 'eye for an eye', but I guess he does have a point."
I let out a huff and looked back out the window. Now I was just bored.
"How long is this drive? I haven't seen a building yet."
I could tell that the trees were thinning, however, there was no sign of a town in sight. Slowly, pavement of a road began to show, but it was still surrounded by trees.
"Where the hell even is this place?"
   I looked away from the window once again and looked at the radio. I look at Alexsander.
   "Would he care if I turned on some music?"
   I stayed staring at him then I looked back at the as I cautiously sneaked my hand towards it. I put my fingers on the power button and looked back at him. His sharp green eyes had flicked in my direction.
   I squeaked and pulled my hand back in,"Is he mad at me?"
   He was looking back at the road, but, to my surprise, he clicked on the radio.
   "Go on," he said in that bored tone.
   I perked up a bit at the sound of the music. It had been a long time since I got to here something more than just that loud dance crap or whatever it was.
   "Classical music? Of course he'd listen to classical. Raisin Bran and classical music, he has to be an old man."
   I giggled at my own thoughts as I flicked through the stations.
   Soon I found a station that seemed to play whatever was popular at the time. I looked up at Alexsander again.
   "He doesn't seem to mind, but who knows with this guy."
   I looked back out the window. We had made a turn a little while ago and now buildings were finally popping in and out of sight.
   "We have to be getting close by now."

I felt the car stop and I picked my heavy head up off the window.
"I must've dosed off..."
I rubbed my eyes and I heard a door close. I looked over to see Alexsander walking around to the other side. He opened my door and I looked up at him.
"Come on. We don't have all day."
I unbuckled my seat belt and stepped out. I picked up my pen and notepad and opened it up. I went on to write "My name is Jenna" and I held it up for him to read.
He nodded in response. He turned to walk into the store and I followed him in.

I had forgotten what it was like to be in a store. Actually, I had forgotten what it was like to be in public altogether. I looked around at the people and they looked back at me. All of me. I crossed my arms and hugged myself. They were staring at me. My mismatching baggy clothes. My frizzy hair. My sunken eyes. My bruises. My scars. My scars. My scars. I could felt my cheeks burn as I stared at the floor. I started walking faster.
"They're judging me! I know they are--"
I let out an "eh" as I bumped into someone. I looked up to see Alexsander looking at me. I backed up a few steps and looked at my socked feet.
"Now I've done it... He's mad at me now... I've already bothered him enough..." Tears began to fill my eyes.
"You need shoes."
I snapped my stare up at him. He was looking at me feet. Then he continued to walk forward. I blinked and followed him. I keep my eyes on his back. His disinterest distracted me from the surrounding strangers.
"He sounds so bored with me, but he hasn't snapped yet at me. What is with this guy?"
I followed him to an aisle filled with shoes.
"Go on and look around. I don't plan on coming back here for a while so pick out a few pairs."
I looked up at him,"Really? Just whatever?" I to look at some and I started to perk up a little. I looked at a pair of sparkly red flats.

"Look, Momma! Look!"
"Ok, ok!" My mother giggled as I pulled her to a pair of red heels that sparkled in the light.
"They look like the ones Dorothy had to send her back home!"
She gasped,"Oh, they do! Care to try them on?"
I gasped,"Really?"
She nodded and I snatched up the shoes in excitement and tried them on. They were 5 sizes too big for my little feet, but I didn't care.
"Do you think they work? Do you think they could take us home?"
"I don't know. Tap your heels three times and say the line and we'll find out," she winked at me.
"There no place like home, there no place like home, there no place like home!" I repeated as I tapped my heels.
I opened up my shut eyes to still see we were in the store.
I gave my mother a pout,"I didn't work!"
My mother just smiled,"Well, maybe you're already at home."
I cocked my head to the side and gave her a confused look,"Huh? But we aren't at the house?"
She giggled,"Home isn't a house. Home is wherever and whenever you are happy and comfortable. Say, do you feel that way with me?"
I nodded my head,"Yes ma'am."
She lifted me up and the shoes fell off my feet and clattered to the floor,"So that means you're already home," she said as she gave me an eskimo kiss.

I giggled to myself as I recalled the memory. I sat down with the shoes and took off my socks. I slipped on the shoes and stood up.
  "They fit," I thought as I walked in them a bit. I looked at Alexsander. He wasn't paying attention to me.
   I slipped them off then set them aside. I went on to pick out a pair of sneakers, but I knew for sure I was getting the flats.

   After a while, I had clothes, shoes, and a few feminine products picked out. He had to go by and get a buggy for the clothes. I just couldn't stop myself and he didn't stop me. I looked at the pile of clothes that were soon to be mine. My fresh, new clothes. No more of those disgusting showy clothes I had to wear. No more high heels that blistered my feet. Just comfortable clothes that covered me up completely for here on out.
***
"Why didn't I stop her?" I thought to myself as I pushed the cart to the cash register. I looked at her to see a small smile lit on her face. I sighed and continued moving forward.
We walked up to a cash register and began to place the stuff on the conveyer belt.
"Hello, sir. How are you doing?" The cashier piped up.
I just nodded at her and continued with what I was doing.
"Oh? Who's this?" She must've caught sight of Jenna,"Is this your daughter..."
I heard her voice drown off and I felt a small tug on the back of my shirt. I looked up to see the cashier staring in her direction. I glanced behind me to find Jenna tucked behind me and burying her face in my back.
"Is she ok?" The cashier quietly spoke up.
I looked back at the woman,"She's shy."
"Oh..."
Her voice trailed off again and I continued to place the items on the belt.
"She does look a bit of a mess. I should've told her to do something with her hair," I looked up at the woman who seemed focused on checking out the items, however, something inside me told me that she wasn't entirely focused.
The cashier poked her head at slightly to catch me looking at her, and quickly looked back down. I raised an eyebrow,"What's her problem now?" I just huffed and shrugged it off. It didn't really mattered to me anyway.

After I refilled the cart and paid the total, I pushed the cart forward to an exit. When Jenna felt me starting to move, she let go of her grip on my back and trailed behind me. I stopped and turned to her.
"I preferred it if you stayed in front of me."
She looked at me and nodded her head. She started walking ahead of me and I followed. Her step seemed lighter than what it was from earlier.
   "Almost like the way she used to walk..."