Chapter XIII: Rain

Lightning flashed, thunder boomed, and the rain pattered against the window.
   "He told me it was going to rain, but I didn't know it was going to be this bad."
   I squeaked as the thunder let out another loud boom. I curled close to my blanket. Without the moonlight shining through my window, the room felt darker than I cared to like.
   The lighting flashed and I caught a glimpse of my light switch. I stood up, the blanket still wrapped around me, and careful made my way to the switch.
I searched the wall until I felt my hand brush the switch. I gave it a light flick up, but nothing happened.
"Shit... Just my luck..." I flicked the switch back off just as lightning filled the room with a quick flash and thunder followed soon after. I gave out a small squeak and clung tighter to my blanket,"Please be over soon."

   I sat on my bed, trying to go back to sleep, but all I could do is stare at the window, watching the rain splash the window. My stomach just kept churning as the moments in the dark crept on.
   "Just try to focus on something else. Think of Mom."

   "Shhhh... It's ok, Jenna. It's just a little bit of bad weather."
   I whimpered and curled closer into my mother's arms. I could feel her hand stroke my hair. Those soothing strokes helped me relax as the thunder continued to roll.
   After a few more strokes, I finally spoke up above my whimpering,"Momma?"
   "Yes sweetie?"
   "Is it silly to be scared of storms?"
   "No."
   "The other kids say it is..." I started snuggle my head closer to her. I couldn't help it. The loud sounds and lightning scared me. I didn't really know why, but some of my classmates were saying I was a baby for being scared of them.
   "Well don't listen to them," I looked up at my mother,"Everyone has fears, even them. Being afraid doesn't make you a baby--
   "It just makes you pathetic."
   The sound of that greasy haired, weasel of a man shook me from my memory. I could feel cold hands yank my arms back away from my mother. I screamed for her to notice, to help pull me back, but there no sounds. She only sat there peacefully as though nothing was happening.
I tried to fight. I tried to scream louder. I tried to call for help. However, as the hands pulled me deeper into the dark, my voice began to muffle into nothingness. My struggle became more and more futile as the hands began to reach for more than just my arms. Eventually all that there seemed to be was silence. Cold, empty, dark silence.
"Jenna!"

The sound of hearing my name shook me. I snapped my eyes open and took in a deep gulp of air. My eyes focused in on the silhouette which hovered me.
   "Oh god... Please no!" I let out a loud wail as I tried to kick and push the figure away,"Just leave me alone! Please!"
   I continued to flail as the figure wrapped his arms around me. As all could was scream as those arms slinked around me.
   "Jenna. Stop this."
   That blunt and unmoving voice brought me back to reality and I realized the one that held me was Alexsander.
                            ***
   I could hear her slowly begin to take in even, deep gulps of air. Her body switched from swinging defensively to growing limp in my arms. Soon, all that filled the room was the slow patter of the rain and her muffled sobs.
   I closed my eyes and just held her. I could feel her cling tightly to my t-shirt, like a child finding safety from the monster under the bed.
   "Will this storm ever stop?" Her voice chimed through my head,"The storm will pass, right? Right Alex?"
    "Everything will be ok, Emily..."
                              ***
   He may have whispered it, but I still heard it clearly.
   "Who is Emily?" I sniffled,"Is he half-asleep?"
   I could feel his hand stroke my hair gently. It reminded me of how my mother would brush my hair. Was this how he treated this Emily girl?
   I closed my eyes and listened to the patter of the rain. I began to notice his breaths began to grow deeper and slower.
   "This feels... So warm..." I thought as my mind began to drift.
   In that moment, he didn't feel like a stranger. Instead he reminded me of my mother's embrace. I felt secure again; like nothing could go wrong. In that moment, I was safe and at peace.