+ 3 +

I awake with the sound of the door closing shut behind Alex, and glance at the clock on my bed side table- ten forty three. I had a long lie in after a long night, but given I had a cappuccino so late last night, it was inevitable. Exhaling softly through my dry lips, I lay on my side and stare at Alex's personalised wall. It's not to my taste, but I appreciate it for what it is; a collection of her favourite posters, polariods, magazine clippings and lyrics. It's a visual representation of all that Alex is, and I admire her creativity. It beats my plain wall, bare and flaking in places, but I've only been here for a few weeks- I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.

Sitting up, I reach for my bag at the foot of my bed and pull out my phone. No missed calls or messages, and a near dead battery. I drag my thumb lazily up the screen searching for mum's number in my 'recent' list, and tap on it when I find it. The phone rings a couple of times, before mom answers and when she does, she seems out of breath.

"Harper!" Her voice is loud, almost as if her mouth is directly on the speaker. I smile but wince also. "Why didn't you call sooner hun? I've been waiting on you all week." In the background I can make out Patrick's muffled words, asking if it's me on the line.

"I know, I'm sorry, I've just been busy." I play with my comforter as I speak, flattening out the areas around my legs. "How are you?"

"I'm good, everything's fine. I was going to call, but Patrick insisted I give you space and he's right. I can't hold you back forever."

"You're not holding me back mom, your fine just the way you are."

"Hmm." She sighs across the line. "How was your week?"

"It was good. I met Alex's friends last night and I called Daniel and made plans to see him soon." Subconsciously, I smile at the mention of Daniel and I nibble on my lower lip.

"I haven't spoken to Daniel in a while, tell him I said hi, next time you speak to him."

"I will. So how's Patrick?" Patrick, is mom's fiancé. They've been engaged for almost six months now, and despite him tying the knot with mom very soon, I can't help but not like him. I don't hate Patrick- there's nothing wrong with him- it's just me, and the naïve girl inside that still believed that her parents stood a chance at getting back together.

"He's well." I hear words exchanged on the other line. "He passes his love." I close my eyes and hold back a sigh.

"Ditto." I reply.

"We're trying to finalise the wedding date." Mum says. "I'm thinking some time in spring."

"That sounds nice."

"Yeah, I think I'll go with it." She sounds deep in thought as she speaks. "And another thing."

"Mm." I mumble.

"Will you be my maid of honour?" Mom asks slowly, almost cautiously, anticipating my reaction. I stay silent for the most part, shocked and caught of guard. A maid of honour at my mother's wedding.

"Of course." I smile widely, hoping it can be heard though my words. "I'd love to." Mum laughs on the other end and sniffles.

"Oh god, I'm crying." My own eyes sting as she says this and I blink a couple of times.

"Well get off the phone before you make me cry too."

+

The weekend passed as all weekends do- fast and hazy. I spent it as I do with all my breaks- getting ahead, and perfecting what I've already completed. It was a routine I followed since sophomore year, and it has never failed me. I've practiced and perfected it- it keeps me feeling on top of things, like a safety net if I ever fall.