+ 4 +

As per my hopes, I didn't bump into Zayn again for the past two weeks. It was a much needed relief after my last overwhelming encounter with him. From that day, I decided that Zayn was not much of a people person for a reason; he's rude to put it bluntly. Rude and intolerable.

It's not just him though. I've avoided all of Alex's friends for the most part, except Alex of course- Alex and Josh.

I ran into Josh outside the cafe a few days after my incident with Zayn, and surprisingly enough, I didn't mind seeing him though; of all of Alex's friends, he was the nicest that night at the cafe- or as nice as people get at college.

We spoke that day, and soon it became a reoccurrence- a friendship infused with the scent of coffee and filled with the sound of lunch time conversations. We get along- not exactly by what we have in common, but by mutual appreciation of each other's interests.

"S'up?" I look up from my book at the sound of Josh's voice as he places a tray on the table and slides into the seat opposite me.

"Hey." I tuck a few strands of hair behind my ear and reach for my bookmark.

"Watch'ya reading?" Snapping open his coke can, he raises his brow at my book. I lift it up to show him the cover, somewhat expecting a look of recognition to flash across his face, but it doesn't. His eyes lingers- slowly reading the title, then observing the image of the boy on the cover. He nods slowly and smiles at me.

"Clock-work Orange. Haven't you heard of it?" I place the book mark and close the book. Josh shakes his head.

"Can't say I have." He takes a bite of his burger. "Not much of a reader." Smiling, I look down at the book that I snuck from the book shelf in the living room back home. Mr Brankley gave it to me to keep, after I had spent the holiday of my sophomore year working at his bookshop. To be fair though, I had read the book over and over, leaving the pages fanned and slightly yellow tinged where my thumbs held the pages. It was well loved but unfit for full price sale. I hadn't read it since, but, in the rush of picking books to bring with me to college, it managed to make the cut. I good read I figured, for one of those lonely nights.

"Fair enough." I reply.

"So, what are you doing this weekend?" He asks, but I know he already knows the answer.

"Studying." I reply giving him a knowing smile. and brushing my hair back with a quick tightening of my pony tail.

"I'm sorry Bre, but I'm gonna have to call your bull." My eyes widen, and lips part as Josh grins widely. "Are we not at the same college? What kind of work load have you got?"

"A lot. I like to keep ahead."

"I'm pretty sure you've nearly finished assignments for third year; you can spare a night." I shake my head. "Not even a night, like two hours- four max." I continue to shake my head, not convinced in the slightest.

"I'm not a party goer."

"Just come to one. Just once and I'll never ask again." He takes a long drink from his can and sets it back on the table. I bite my lip in thought, not wanting to go, but not wanting to be pestered every time we talk. "Think about it. You've got 'til Saturday at six."

"Okay," Josh sits up, satisfied. "That's not a yes, but I'll think about." I affirm.

"And that's all I'm asking."

+

Friday night came about much quicker than I expected, bringing with it the first shades of autumn as the wind swept summer away. It was cold and somewhat lonely, with Alex out with her friends for the night- a 'Friday tradition' as she told me. I was used to it, but the cold air filling the dorm through the crack beneath the door and around the window, made it feel lonelier.