+ 15 +

'Her breath caused his skin to tingle and slowly fill with goosebumps. His eyes fluttered shut as a sigh of warm breath escaped his chapped lips. He'd lost count of how long it had been, but she still had the same affect on him.  It seemed as though that even when she smiled his heart would seize.

'This is something' he thought. 'She is something.''

I smile down at the little excerpt, before reaching for my phone. I'd been waiting for Daniel for two hours and still there was no sign of him.

Frowning, I dial his number and it rings before going to his voice mail. I try again, and then once more, though the line is purposely cut before I here his voicemail message. Blinking, I hold the phone from the side of my face and stare at the bright screen.

My frown deepens as I decide to send him a text.

'Hey, are you almost here?' I send and wait impatiently for a few minutes, though I receive no response.

Strange, and definitely out of character for Daniel. He always replies to my messages in a heartbeat. I gnaw on my lip and stand from my desk as I try calling him again, but the line is cut yet again.

I send another text;  'Is everything okay?'

Still no reply; 'Are you okay?'

I slick a hand over my hair and brush loose strands behind my ear. I decide to wait for a little longer. Perhaps he's driving or his phones run out of charge or maybe he forgot it. I calm myself with all these rational possibilities as I clear my desk and straighten the sheets on my bed.

Pacing around slowly, I come to stand in front of the mirror, my hands firmly pressed to my hips  in my dark denim and blue shirt. My gaze wanders back to the black screen of my phone, staring at it as if to will the screen to light up with a notification. 

But then the door knocks, making me jump, but I let out an exaggerated sigh of relief as I straighten out my shirt and go to open it.

"You had me really worr-" My words trail off as I come face to face with Zayn, and disappoint floods my features.

"You couldn't be happier to see me." He mocks, his foot twisting on the ground, presumably putting out a cigarette. I don't reply as he pushes past me before I have a chance at closing the door. I lean out slightly though and crane my neck to get a glimpse at the parking lot and any sign of Daniel.

"Not now Zayn." I move to the side, leaving the door wide open and waiting for him to leave.

"Boyfriend's a no show?" He faces me, a smug smirk adorning his face, that quickly manages to contort my worry to annoyance.

He walks to my desk and I part my lips to respond at the same time that my phone buzzes with a notification. I speed to grab it, but Zayn beats me to it, sliding it off my desk and into the palm of his hand.

"Give it back." I reach for it, but he holds it away from me and reads it aloud.

"'Change of plans.'" He smirks at the screen before handing the phone over.

I refuse to believe him until I read the message for myself  and when I do a sinking feeling plummets from my chest to the depth of my stomach in an fast an unexpected drop.

"What?" I mutter it to myself, though I'm aware Zayn can probably hear me.

"He stood you up." He states bluntly as he drops onto my tightened sheets. "Pretty douche-ey if you ask me."

My phone buzzes again with another message, this time 'Maybe another time.' Maybe? I frown, clicking the screen shut and placing it face down on my desk.

"You can leave." I cross my arms over my chest and bite the inside of my cheek. "All you do is annoy me, you smell of tobacco and your ruining my sheets. You're the last thing I need right now. Leave." I try to keep it together as I let my frustration out on him that momentarily wipe the smile off his face, but not permanently.

Zayn stands and brushes past me to the door, "You should get out more. Might fix your fucking attitude." He chuckles sarcastically as my nostrils flare. 

I close my eyes and take a breather to calm myself. He may be bluntly rude, but I wasn't exactly forgiving in my words.

I hesitate, but soon enough I find myself slipping on my shoes and pocketing my keys before following quickly behind him.

Zayn's already made it to the parking lot, and when I see him walk towards a sleek old fashioned muscle car.

"Zayn." I call out to him as I speed up my steps. He doesn't pay me any attention. "Zayn." I try again and this time he pauses, with his car door open but his back remains to me.

I take a breath and walk up to stand in front of him, taking in the shiny exterior of the classic that I presume to be quite costly.

With a blank expression on his face, Zayn raises eyebrow.

"I'm sorry for what I said. It was uncalled for." I tighten my pony tail and brush loose strands behind my ear. Zayn just nods his head and I take it that he's accepted my apology. "Your turn." I prod.

"For what?"

"You insulted my attitude."

"Your attitude is shitty."

"My attitude? Have you seen yours?"

"I don't deny it."

"It isn't anything to be proud of."

"Drop it." I huff, but bite back my words nonetheless. I stay lingering by his opened door and when I don't move he mockingly asks, "Do you want something?"

"No." I step back and cross my arms.

"Good."

"Good." I turn and walk away, biting my lip when I hear his car door slam. I continue to walk away, satisfied that've I've managed to get under his skin. I

+++++

I'm really liking this faster paced set of events, and am definitely finding it more realistic compared to my juvenile version before. I literally cringe whilst I'm going through the old chapters. I can see now why so many of you guys got frustrated with Bre and let's just not start on Zayn (lol).

Anyway, I was wondering what a good length for a book is chapter wise. As in how long/many chapters should Start. be? I'd really appreciate your feedback.

;) X