+ 13 +

We had made our way back to the parking lot in predominant silence, though it wasn't uncomfortable, it was just quiet. As we passed by the gap, me ahead of him, I decided to at least say goodnight before parting ways. Briskly, I turned around and almost lost balance in my hast to step back when I realized just how close behind me Zayn was.

Zayn was faster though, his hand grabbing mine and holding me straight. I steady but we were still close. 

Vividly my mind brought back flash backs of my dorm.

Zayn and I.

The kiss.

My heart pumps hard yet unbearably slow as I struggle to coordinate my breathing.

Desperately my lips part and my eyes dart over across Zayn's, as his face remains blank though his jaw seems tense and his eyebrows more furrowed.

He has to be feeling something. Anything. I squeeze his hand that remains clutched to mine, and my adrenaline picks up like it did the last time we were alone. When we were close.

I lean in slightly closer, and from our proximity I can see Zayn's nostrils flare slightly and his lashes  brush the delicate skin beneath his eyes.

My heart drums boldly and blood courses through the vein within my ears deafening any rational thought as I inch closer and my warm breath slowly fans against the shell of Zayn's ear. Instantly I can feel the goosebumps on his wrist and I can't help the smile that twitches by my lips.

"Do I make you nervous?" I whisper deliberately in his ear slowly and step back to examine his expression. Much to my dismay though, his poker face is going strong and there doesn't seem to be a hint of emotion in his eyes.

My gaze drops to his lips as they part, but it's not his voice I hear when they open.

"Bre?" I snap out of my haze and stumble away from Zayn to turn behind me at the sound Daniel's voice.

He's here? He can't be?

I squint in the dim light of the lamp and the moon as I make out a figure approaching us.

Oh God.

"Bre."

"Daniel." I take a couple of steps and jog the rest of the way to meet him in the middle and engulf him in a hug. My heart is running wild and my mind is racing as I try to gather my thoughts and appear genuinely thrilled by his surprise visit.

I take a step back and smile as Daniel's arms remain wrapped around my waist.

"You weren't in your dorm and I tried calling you but you weren't answering." I cling onto his every word, searching for a hint of accusation of anger that might imply he saw me and Zayn, but there's nothing and I almost sight in relief.

"I went for a walk." I turn to Zayn and so does Daniel.

"Is he your friend?"

"We're more like acquaintances." I clarify. "Daniel, this is Zayn. Zayn, Daniel- my boyfriend." I try to discreetly emphasize the last part, hoping Zayn will catch on and leave us be without deciding to taunt me for fun.

I stuffed up, big time. And why? For no reason other than self irrationality.

To impress him.

No.

"Hey," Daniel extends a hand.

"Hey." Zayn takes it and shakes it, but drops it far to quickly. "Talk to ya." He says it in my direction though his eyes remain on Daniel, before he walks off.