Chapter Nine

Zayn’s POV

“Shit.” I mutter under my breath and lay back down on the couch only to hear her footsteps walking towards me.

“Well?” She asks folding her arms across her chest and I sigh.

“Well what Resse?”

“Why the fuck aren’t you seeing Clara anymore?” Reese yells again and I shrug only adding to her anger.

“I forgot about the sessions.”

“Oh c’mon Zayn you can give me a better lie than that one!”

“I don’t feel like going anymore how about that!” I stand from the couch towering over her, but her death glare never leaves my face.

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t need them anymore Reese. I’m just fine without seeing Clara.”

“No you’re not.” She folds her arms across her chest and I groan walking away from her.

“And who are you to tell me if I’m fine or not Reese? I don’t see a PhD behind your name.”

“Look. You have either two options. One: You see Clara and keep going to your sessions. Or two: You don’t go and see Clara and I kick your ass out.” I turn and face her and see she isn’t lying but she’s also not buying into what she’s saying.

“Seriously?” I ask and she nods. “Fine. I’ll see Clara in the morning.”

“Good.” Reese nods her head and walks to the back.

I sigh and leave the house not really feeling being around an upset Reese. I end up walking to my job, needing the fresh air to clear my head. I finally get the garage and see Louis not doing anything. I’m guessing it’s a slow day and I couldn’t be more happy.

“What’s up Z?”

“Needing a smoke.” I groan and take the seat next to Lou.

“Wow a smoke? I thought you quit before you left for the Seals.”

“I did.” I smirk and Louis laughs lightly next to me.

“What happened?”

“Reese and I got into a little argument.”

“If it’s one thing I know about you two, it’s that your arguments are never little.” Louis laughs and I hit his arm.

“Shut up.”

“So what did you do this time?”

“Why is it my fault?” I ask and Louis shrugs and stands from his seat.

“Because you’re a man and an idiot.”

“And the best friend award goes to Louis Tomlinson.” I speak sarcastically and Louis flips me off.

“I’m just being honest man. So what happened?”

“I stopped going to me therapy sessions and now Reese is flipping out.”

“She has every right to be! Why would you stop going Zayn? I thought they were going well?” He speaks rushed and I shake my head.

“They were. And I was feeling better. I didn’t think I needed to go anymore.”

“Zayn, you know I love you like a brother. And I’ll always be there for you. But you gotta keep going to these sessions dude. You can’t not go because you think you’re better.”

“I know Lou. That’s why I’m going in the morning, so chill.” I pat his shoulder and he nods.

“I am chill. Just promise me you won’t stop going?”

“Alright.”

“Promise.” He gives me an intense stare and I nod.

“I promise.”

“Good. Oh look we’ve got our first customer.”

The next morning I make my way to Clara’s office. When I’m inside she gives me a smile that I don’t return. We sit in silence for awhile and it’s only because I have to speak first to get the session started.

“It would have been nice if you gave me a little heads up that my girlfriend was going to come home and yell at me.”

“I told her not to yell.” She grins and I roll my eyes. “So how have you been doin Zayn?”

“Better and you?”

“I can’t complain much.” She shrugs and another silence falls over us. “So how have the dreams been?”

“I haven’t had any.”

“Zayn you know whatever you say in here stays between us right? There is no need to lie.”

“I’m not lying. I haven’t had any dreams lately.” I lay back on the couch and Clara nods but doesn’t say anything.

“And why do you think that is?”

“I haven’t been sleeping. No sleep equals no dreams.”

“Zayn you have to sleep. Your body needs its rest.” She speaks with concern in her eyes.

“But when I do, I only wake up...”

“Due to your dreams.”

“Yeah. So I mean either way it’s a lose, lose situation.” I shrug and play with my thumbs.

“Does Reese know about this?’

“No.”

“And why not.” I sigh and sit back up.

“Because I don’t have to tell her everything.”

“Why is that?” Clara sits back and readjust her glasses.

“Because it’s not like we’re married or anything. And I don’t want to worry her.”

“She already worries about you Zayn. Why do you think she was here to see me yesterday. And why do you think she pushes you to make these sessions. She worries because she cares. “

“I know.”

“Here’s what I think you should do. And this is for the both of you. I want you to sit on the floor in your living room and just talk. Just lay all your feeling and concerns out on the table. And once you’ve done that, hug her. Forget everything she said and she will forget everything you said, because you two will need to move on. All relationships have to be able to find common ground and move on from the past. So do that tonight and we will talk about it tomorrow.” Clara smiles and I nod.

“The session over?”

“Yes it is Zayn.” I get up and walk to her door only to turn around and give her a hug.

“Thank you.” I whisper and she nods in the embrace.

That night when Reese got home we did what Clara told us to do. We actually talked. About everything. She told me how she was worried for me and I told her how I hated when she worried. We told each other we love each other and hugged... and did a little more than hug in the bedroom.

That night I didn’t have a dream about being overseas. I had a dream about Reese. It was our first date and I was a nervous wreck. All she did was laugh and hold my hand the entire night. I woke up to her smiling at me and I did the same. Maybe things are looking up for Reese and I.