When His World Changed

Soul's POV

My eyes stared at Maka's heart monitor as it made regulated beats. She'd been put in the hospital and diagnosed to be in a coma. Just last week her and I were walking home, and the next minute a drunk driver flew right into her. Now all I could do was sit by her side and talk without a response. Part of me hoped she could hear me and would make it through. But I also knew that was unlikely. The doctor's said she'd come close to passing away so many times. It hurt to watch them rush her into other rooms, not knowing if she'd make it through or not.

As I stood by her side, my eyes roamed to her hands. They were empty and still. I bent down and intertwined my fingers with hers. I felt so empty and alone without her. I could only hope and wish for her to make it through. Every day I'd come and sit next to her, holding her hand and talking, observing her and thinking things I could never tell her. Her hands were so soft and gentle, one of the reasons I loved being her weapon. Her hair cascaded around her shoulders admirably. Her face held a look of peace and innocence. A deep guilt built up inside of me for not sharing my feelings for her sooner.

"I'm sorry, Maka," I started. I hesitated a moment before continuing. "I should've done a better job of protecting you. It's hard without you. It's like..." I stopped and thought for a second. "Like DWMA without Lord Death. It's just not the same. I love you so much and I never even bothered to tell you." My gaze went to her face. Her eyes remained closed, as they had for the past six days. I sighed and squeezed her hands.

"Please, Maka, wake up soon. I need you. You're my partner, my best friend, my everything. You're the only meister I can have. The only one I want. You have to make it through," I told her in a weak voice. "For me."

For the next few minutes I remained silent. My world couldn't be the same without her. If she died, I'd have nothing left. Black Star and the others already lost hope. They knew she might not make it. But, I couldn't admit to myself there was a possibility she wouldn't. Not until the heart monitor began to speed up.

Before I could bring myself to realize what was going on, doctors and nurses rushed in. They gently pushed me out of the room and immediately took her to another. I chased behind them, telling myself "No, this isn't happening. She'll be okay," over and over again. But when they shut the door in front of me and I waited for a couple hours and they finally came out, I knew she wouldn't be.

I know, I know. Short, crappy, and sad. But I started writing it in class because I felt bad for not updating, and that's all I had inspiration to write. Like always, my brain's a fart. Anyways, I hope it's good enough for an update since I might not write more for a little while XD. But hey, at least it's something. Thanks for the reads!