Chapter 4 (part 2): Peter Parker's secret

You spent the rest of the bus ride thinking about Peter. You wondered if he'll be there, you hoped you weren't wrong about his secret identity or your classmate would think that you were crazy (that may be the case). Also, you can't risk having people putting their nose in the case, it's too dangerous for them. You put a hand at your neck, the memory of last night still vivid. You sighed. Not even professors asked about your parents, and it was going to stay like this. You needed to become a « ghost » in the classroom, while still having good grades so you could have the job you wanted. Shaking your head, you decided to focus on what was going to happen next. If Peter really is Spider-man, you hoped he could become your friend. You had the feeling that you had something in common with him but don't know what at the moment. Plus you needed someone. You're too much of a daredevil for your own safety, and you knew it, which was worse. You realized that you were already there, so you got out the bus.

The bartender was right, it was (slightly) better the day, at least you didn't have the feeling that someone was going to cut your throat...yet. You shuddered at the thought and walked to the bar. It was open but when you entered it, you saw that there was no one. You frowned and got ready to fight, watching your surrounding.

"Hello, is anyone there ?" you asked and saw the bartender coming out from behind the bar

"I thought you would never come, you have the guts kiddo, I like that !" the man laughed "please take a seat"

You did as told and made yourself comfortable, but not letting your guard down in case something happened.

"Why am I the only one ?"

"It's closed" the bartender answered

"But the sign said it was open..."

"It's always like that, but people don't come in for two reasons: one, they know that it's closed, two, they know I don't want them until tonight"

"But a bar is supposed to..." you got cut off by the annoyed bartender

"I do what I want. Now I'm going to talk about...((Parent's name)) was it?"

"Yes" you nodded

"They were good person, they came here very often..." he said with a hint of nostalgia in his voice

"Did they talk with someone, other than you ?"

"I don't remember every costumers kiddo, sorry"

You got the paper that you found yesterday out of your backpack and showed it to him.

"Was this written by you, by any chance ?" you asked hopefully. You saw the bartender hesitate before answering.

"Yes it was me, I wanted to talk about life and everything, you know...Why do you look so defeated kiddo ?"

"I hoped you could help me...guess I was wrong"

"Why is this so important to you anyway ?"

You hesitated answering him. Something in this man made you want to trust him. Maybe it was the way his blue eyes was softly looking at you. Almost like a father looked at his child. It gave you the impression that he knew you. Telling him won't hurt you, you believed. So you decided to answer.

"I..am their child...my name's ((Full name)) and it's important because they...got killed" You whispered the last part and saw the soft look on his face turns into one of sadness and compassion.

"I'm sorry for your loss...you know, the first time I saw you, you reminded me a lot of them. The determination you have in your eyes. Today I've loosen great friends, and I don't want the same to happen to you kiddo. So let me tell you this: whatever they were up to, stay out of it, for your safety."