Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Erik began his second glass of wine but stopped after a few sips. He had initially planned to drink until he was quite intoxicated, but his intellect denied him the opportunity. He would not be a carefree drunk as he normally was, he realized. Not this time… Damn that website!

Pen-a-Pal has hypnotized me, and against my will. I should have known… Music should be enough! He placed the glass on a table. Why isn't music enough anymore?

His fists clenched. Maybe I will have that contraption destroyed! His fists unclenched after giving that some thought. I have no wish to do such a thing.

His thoughts moved to the girl on the site, Christine. A battle ensued in him whether to communicate with her or cancel his Pen-a-Pal account altogether.

It would have been easy to cancel his account. But, Erik never did anything the easy way. Experience had taught him that easiness was cowardice. My entire life has been a challenge, and I have no intention of changing that. A small voice in the back of his head whispered, Nor do I know how to change it…

He was interrupted from his thoughts when Nadir walked into the room and made himself comfortable on an upholstered chair.

Nadir studied his friend. "And, how are you, Mr. Wellington?" he asked lightly.

Erik gritted his teeth. "Do not use that name in my presence, Kahn."

"Very well," Nadir replied nonchalantly. He knew that Erik did not enjoy the pseudonym unless it was for business. The name belonged with his music, and that was all. "You are usually with your music around this time. Why the change?"

Nadir was a smart man. Erik would not have hired him if he were anything less than a genius. So, because he was so smart, Nadir knew his schedule as if it were his own. It sometimes surprised Erik knowing just how aware Nadir was.

Erik thought his meddling ways were quite annoying. "I decided to take a break," he replied shortly. "How did it go today?" he asked.

It sounded like Erik really didn't care but asked the question just to change the subject. "Well, your piano sonata has been published. And your opera, Narcissus, is being looked at by the Metropolitan Opera. That is quite an honor, Erik." He wanted his friend to fully understand his greatness to society, but he knew he never would.

Erik shrugged. He truly did not care. He stood. "Would you like some wine?" It sounded as if he intended on preparing and giving him a glass.

Nadir sighed thinking of Erik's obvious disinterest in his success. He will never understand. "Sure," he replied referring to the wine.

Pointing towards the bar, Erik said, "The bottle is there," before leaving the room.

Nadir only shook his head and stood from his sitting position to get it himself.

Erik sat in his computer chair and stared at the site that was still up on the screen. I could be doing the wrong thing.. He realized that 'Pen-a-Pal' was not intended to be a big deal, but the whole thing still frightened him. What if I reveal too much of myself? I can usually tell if I am making a mistake, but I am unsure this time. That knowledge frustrated him to no end.

He hesitantly put his hand on the mouse and moved it until it hovered above the box marked, 'Log Off'. But, he then removed his hand from the mouse and ran his fingers through his hair sighing. Why is this so difficult?

A voice in Erik's head was urging him to email Christine. What's the worst that could happen? She may not respond. And, if that is the case, you can return to your music and pretend this never happened.