Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Saturday Morning

Erik awoke bright and early as the sun was rising outside. Although his excitement had been increasing rapidly since Wednesday night to the point of not being able to stand still for more than two seconds, he had forced himself to get some sleep. He wanted to feel completely refreshed and alert for this night.Tonight, I will see the angel for the first time. In his mind, he had been referring to Christine as 'the angel' ever since Wednesday when he had discovered that she was the angel he had been referring to when composing his song, The Angel.

To Erik, it seemed like he had never been so excited about anything in his life. He couldn't stop smiling, and it was difficult to restrain himself from letting out glees of joy every few minutes. This was all so new to him. He'd read books and seen movies about individuals being infatuated with other individuals, but he had never experienced it himself…until now. Christine was the sun, and he was the night. And in his current optimistic mindset, he was actually able to see how opposites could attract.

He had to remember to keep it from Nadir, though. His correspondence with Christine was private. Only he would know her. It was silly to feel so possessive, but Erik couldn't help it. Her emails were like gifts to him, so that meant that she was like a gift to him. She was his gift, no one else's. He wouldn't share.

With uncharacteristic delight, he glided towards his music room to make sure three pieces of music he had composed the night before were ready for Nadir to take to work.

It was a little past 7:00 am. Erik looked towards the doorway cautiously to make sure he was alone. Nadir usually didn't wake up until 7:15, so he had about fifteen minutes to display his current mood. He knew exactly what he wanted to do. Sitting on the piano bench, his fingers met the keys and he began to play The Angel. When it came time for the singer to chime in, Erik began to sing using his pure, exquisite falsetto. Feeling the way he currently did, even he had to admit that it sounded beautiful. Anyone would think so.

His eyes closed as he continued the song feeling each word, caressing each note… It felt so good that it wasn't until the end when he felt a presence behind him. Oh, no.. Erik groaned and whipped around to face Nadir. "Is it too much to ask that you warn me when you enter the room?" He wasn't yelling, but his voice was full of irritation.

Nadir was standing in the doorway with his mouth hanging open from what he had heard. At the sound of Erik's speaking voice, he blinked coming out of the trance his singing had the power to put him in. "I-I," he stuttered, trying to clear his head. "No, Erik. It isn't too much to ask. I apologize for intruding." Really, though, he wasn't sorry to have heard him, for who couldn't be hypnotized by such a sound? Erik was music, plain and simple. But Nadir was extremely curious… He is obviously in high spirits, despite how he is acting towards me, so what is the reason for this good mood?

Erik studied the disarrayed expression on Nadir's face knowing it had to do with his singing. "Apology accepted," he finally said. "Now," he began, his tone business-like. "I composed three pieces last night. Here you are."

Nadir stepped forward, and he handed him the papers. "How is Lucid River coming along?" Erik asked casually, although his intentions were not so casual. It was the song he had composed after reading the first part of Christine's email on Wednesday night. It was the slow, mournful, but hauntingly beautiful song that he wanted only one person to sing. "The piece I gave you Thursday morning." He noticed that Nadir was still acting slow, so he growled and yelled, "Wake up and tell me!"

His booming voice did the trick. Nadir jerked to attention and replied, "It is circulating among many different concert halls and companies. They all like what they hear. In fact, Erik, they believe it is your best composition since Translucence. It will be well known soon enough."