Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Will you marry me?"

Christine Daae's hand stilled above the check she had been writing. Her pen fell to the floor. She blinked and then blinked again before leaning down to pick up her pen. What did he just say? I must have misheard him...

Slowly sitting up again, she looked at Erik Destler from her seated position. All was silent for about three seconds before she cleared the air with a bit of laughter. "Very funny, Mr. Destler.." His eyes were glued to her face, and from what she could see, he was very serious. An awkwardness filled the music room. Trying to shake it off, Christine said, "Um, ok, where were we?" Her eyes returning to the check she had previously been writing. "So, I owe you money for the past four voice lessons for a total of 200 dollars, right?" She could feel his intense stare and reluctantly raised her head to look at him for an answer.

"You didn't answer my question, Christine. And as I've said before, please call me Erik." His tone was low, and his eyes were still watching her with anticipation.

She didn't know what to say. This was...bizarre. Completely bizarre. "I-I don't know what to say-"

Before she could speak further, he interrupted, "Say yes. Please, Christine."

Christine couldn't believe this was actually happening. It was like some sort of really weird dream. Before she was even aware of her own actions, Christine was standing, grabbing her purse, and moving towards the door. "Mr. Destler, this is.. really inappropriate." She studied his masked face hoping he'd say it was all just a joke. That wouldn't make this situation any less awkward, but at least there would be a chance for forgiveness. Please don't do this, Mr. Destler.. He wasn't speaking, so she finally said, "Why are you doing this? I- I don't even know you. I have a boyfriend. And aside from all of that, you're my teacher."

Erik could feel and see her slipping away from him. Desperately, he attempted to persuade her. "The music we've created. Think of it, Christine. Think of what we've done together. And think of what we will be able to do together once we are married."

His words were sinking in more and more. This was all so wrong. "What are you even thinking? You don't know me. You don't-"

For the second time, Erik interrupted. This time, he announced with passion, "I love you. I love you, Christine. More than anything."

Now he was really scaring her. Love? Love? She turned and practically ran to the door. Before leaving and never coming back, Christine turned and said, "Look, Mr. Destler, I don't know why you're doing this. I guess I'll never know.. I can't see you anymore." Her eyes looked around the room she'd always thought was so beautiful. Then, she shook her head and left, slamming the door shut on her way out. She raced towards the front door of his house praying he wouldn't try to stop her from leaving. Once she was outside, she sprinted to her car and drove away.

Erik was left standing in his music room looking at the place where she had been standing moments before. His plan hadn't worked. The look on her face.. He staggered towards the piano bench and sat down. I thought.. I hoped.. His dreams were shattered.

How was he to have known that she didn't feel as he felt? She'd come to him a year ago for voice lessons, and throughout that year, his feelings towards her had grown and grown. Erik was certain she felt the same. There were signs, the most important being her ability to make him feel like a man. She had always treated him with respect. It was obvious that she truly admired him... or so he had thought.

But no. Of course not. How could anyone admire a monster? Her rejecting words replayed through his mind as tears invaded his eyes. Erik stared at a piece of music Christine had been singing for him a mere ten minutes ago.

Her beautiful voice, the voice he had created, would never be heard in his home again. That thought made his eyes widen. The very thought of never hearing her voice again or seeing her smile or hearing her laugh brought new feelings to the surface. He wasn't sad anymore. Now, he was angry. How dare she? My words should not have come as such a shock! My feelings have been obvious, have they not? Most of his anger was redirected to one specific thing. She has a boyfriend. Oh, how he wished to destroy the boy, whoever he was.

Christine... Christine... The desperation he had felt when she was still in the room was returning. I'll do anything to be with her. Anything. But she does not want me...

A gasp escaped his lips as an answer appeared. His eyes glistened. Of course! She only thinks she will never see me again. Oh, how wrong she is...

IIIIIII

And it was the very next day that Christine Daae was announced missing.