Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Christine sat motionless on the kitchen floor. Erik was moving. He was regaining consciousness. Not only was she frightened, but she was scared for her life. Yet, she couldn't move.

To run would be useless... To stay would be a death sentence... Shit. Christine knew things were going to turn ugly if she didn't take action. Maybe I should knock him out with the frying pan again. But, she wouldn't do that. It was hurting him that had placed her in her current situation. To do it again would most likely cause her previous inner battle to wage once more.

Am I just going to sit here and wait for him to explode in rage?

IIIIIII

Erik's thoughts were hazy. His head was aching. The pain was excruciating, and it was causing his mind to feel sluggish. From a distance, he could hear himself groaning and feel his body stirring slightly.

Then came his first clear thought. I was hit. It was shocking, for he hadn't been hit in many, many years. I was hit in the back of the head... My mask! It's gone! That sudden knowledge was enough to cause his hands to instantly cover his face. But, who-... Christine! Her name resounded in his head, but initially, it was out of fear for her well-being. Whoever hit me surely did something to her!

Panic overcame his entire being. His eyes immediately opened, and his hands moved away from his face. The kitchen ceiling was what he first saw. With only one objective in mind, his eyes darted to the left and then to the right until he suddenly saw her.

His beautiful Christine was sitting on the floor looking at him with fear in her eyes.

Reflexively, Erik's hands moved to cover his deformed face again, but not before his eyes located something else. There was a frying pan on the floor next to her.

Focusing on what he'd just seen, Erik lay still and thought things through with his hands covering his face. Clearly, that was the weapon used against me.. But, why is it lying beside my sweet Christine?

Another voice in his head whispered, You know why, Erik...

No, the first, more trusting voice thought. It isn't possible for her to have caused this.

That voice seemed to be resolute, but the other voice sneaked in again and whispered, She knocked you into unconsciousness and she removed your mask... She is not so sweet.

The proof lay with that voice. There wasn't anyone else in the house. His beloved was the only one with the means, motives, and opportunity to have done it. It was settled.

With great speed, Erik uncovered his face and sat up, ignoring his body's protest to the sudden movement. He turned towards Christine and studied the look of utter horror on her face. Then, with an unusual calm air, he softly asked, "What are you thinking?" But, without giving her time to answer, he said, "I'll tell you what I'm thinking. I am confused, Christine. You have put me in a state of confusion. I must also admit that I have quite a head ache. Am I to assume that you wanted me to feel worse than that?" He actually smiled before shaking his head. "My dear girl, what were you thinking?"

Christine didn't speak. She couldn't.

"You look afraid.. Are you afraid of this?" He pointed to his face. "Is the almighty, powerful Christine, who was brave enough to try to do away with Erik, afraid of his face?" Crossing his arms, he laughed loudly, his shoulders shaking. "I honestly do not know if I should be angry with you or if I should commend you. Not many people are able to do what you did. But," he added quickly. "I am confused as to why you are here. Christine, why are you still here? Your obvious motive was to leave me, so why have you stayed?"