Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Christine didn't feel refreshed when she awoke from her nap, and it didn't help that the first thing she saw when she opened her eyes was Erik standing over her like a tall, dark shadow. She'd nearly shrieked at the sight, actually.

Erik could tell that he'd startled her. "I'm sorry for scaring you, my dear."

She sat up quickly and stood from the bed. "You didn't scare me. I was just surprised." That wasn't exactly true, though. Her eyes couldn't help but notice his attire. He was wearing something a little dressier than his normal black suit. Now, he was wearing a black tuxedo. The very thought of him wanting to 'dress up' for such a tragic occasion disgusted her.

Deciding to disregard the obvious lie of her statement, Erik moved on. Excitement took over as he beamed down at her. "Well, shall we?"

Damn, I don't have a plan, Christine thought. She'd slept for longer than she would have liked, although she didn't know how long that was thanks to not being able to see a clock. Now, Erik was ready to go. Well, she most certainly wasn't. Marrying him... The thought was horrifying. "No," she said.

The smile left Erik's face. "Oh Christine, have we not been through this? You have to marry me. There is no choice."

"There should be a choice! I shouldn't have to marry you if I don't want to. God, you have problems! Why can't you realize that forcing me to marry you will do nothing but make me hate you more?" Why can't I get this through his head?

Erik stood very still for a moment. This is the right decision. This is not wrong. I am right, and she is confused. "Dear one, do not tire yourself. I realize that you have not fully caught up on sleep just yet. You will sleep better tonight, though." His lips curled upward.

Christine's eyes widened suddenly. "Look," she began, her voice shaky. "I don't know what you have planned for tonight, but-"

He interrupted her, knowing immediately what she was referring to. "Do not worry, my love. I would never force you. I knew from the beginning that that would be out of the question."

She shuddered as unwanted thoughts went through her mind, although she did feel relief at his words. "Ok."

"Now, let us be on our way." Erik studied her appearance then. "My dear, wouldn't you like to take a shower and put on fresh clothing? I believe you would feel more comfortable."

Christine knew for a fact that nothing would make her feel more comfortable. She also was in no mood for him to control this situation like he had all the others. He was in control of too many things. "No, I don't want to take a shower or put on 'fresh clothing'," she snapped.

Erik merely shrugged. "If that is your decision, I suppose.. No matter, you look lovely either way," he complimented. It was time to get to it. "Now Christine, it is time. Everything is prepared. Let's go."

There was nothing she could do. Many things were about to change, including her last name. Her shoulders slumped in defeat as she moved to the door of her bedroom. Erik was right behind her. She realized he was always going to be right behind her.

Eventually, they were situated in Erik's car. Christine was wearing the mask. She hated it. She detested it. The only things she detested more were Erik and the wedding dress that was laying on the back seat. How can this be happening? I'm only eighteen and I'm getting married? This isn't right. None of this is right! Robert, I'm so sorry... Just the thought of her boyfriend made tears come to her eyes. With that thought also came thoughts of Meg and her family. The tears spilled over as she longed to see them again.