Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"Christine, it is time," Erik announced upon entering her bedroom for the second time that morning. The first time had been an utter failure, but now that he'd given her a little while alone to think about everything, he was sure she was ready to cooperate.

Yes, Christine had been given time to think about her situation, but no, she wasn't ready to cooperate. In the time that Erik had left her alone, she'd had time to calm down some.

First of all, nothing good was going to come from being a nuisance. All it did was cause him to treat her like a child, which was highly annoying. Second of all, claiming to hate him probably hadn't been a very good idea. It obviously hadn't work to her advantage, being that he didn't say that he was going to take her home. In fact, all he had done was make a ridiculous comment that she was too good to hate. Why did he have to place her on some metaphorical pedestal? It was stupid and wrong. I can hate, because I hate him.

But thinking like that wasn't getting her anywhere. I have to control myself.. my emotions, my actions, and my thoughts. If I don't, he's never going to see reason. That was the conclusion Christine had come to while Erik was away. Now that he was back, it was time to handle things rationally.

"I'm sorry, Erik, but I can't sing right now," Christine simply said without the usual hostility in her tone.

Erik's eyes brightened for a moment upon hearing her use his name, but he quickly came down from his high and sighed. "Christine, I believe we've been through this. Your reasons are not good enough. You must sing for me."

Maybe it would be to my advantage to leave this room, Christine suddenly thought while tuning out what he was saying. If she were to leave the room, maybe she could find a way to escape. It was genius! "Ok," she said with a little too much excitement. "I'll sing. Let's go."

He wasn't at all convinced by her abrupt change in attitude. Instead, he was incredibly suspicious. "You'll sing? Why? Why do you wish to sing now, whereas a moment ago you were not ready?" He stared at her evenly, silently persuading her to speak the truth.

Christine might have been a strong young woman, but even she couldn't block out such persuasion. "I-I..." She was stuttering. "I.. don't know." Her eyes couldn't leave his.

Erik smirked slightly while still staring at his beloved. "Surely you do. You sounded so confident a moment ago." She was staring at him with glazed over eyes, but she wasn't speaking. Perhaps it was time to use this spell to the fullest of his capabilities. "We belong together, Christine. You know that..." He moved towards her slowly and with purpose. "Just think about it, Christine. You and I will rule the world. To have such power would be wonderful, would it not?" She still didn't speak. Erik smiled warmly. He was now close enough to move a strand of hair behind her ear, and he did so gently. "My dear Christine, marry me. Say you will."

"I..."

"Say it, dear one. Say it, and everything else will be taken care of."

It was so easy, so simple.. To give into his words, to have everything else 'taken care of', would indeed be wonderful. Christine smiled. For the first time since this entire fiasco began, she smiled while looking into his inviting eyes. "I will."

Then, without so much as a second of waiting or warning, Erik leaned in and kissed his future bride.

The moment his lips met hers, Christine blinked and her eyes widened. The spell was broken. Instantly, she backed away with her mouth hanging open. Her eyes were moving every which way as the previous few minutes raced through her mind. "Wha-.. My god, what have you done?"