Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Erik's POV

I was sure my first emotion when I found her would be anger, anger that she had run from me, for I thought her feelings had changed. But, I was mistaken. Anger was not what I felt.

I was also wrong to think that I would find her because, to my surprise, she found me. My surprise increased even more so when I saw her. It was when I saw her that my first emotion emerged.

Fear. Indescribable fear.

What I saw what a bleeding, dirty, teary-eyed girl who appeared to have just lost everything.

Of course I would be terrified when that girl just so happened to be my wife.

It seemed my surprise was to continue to increase, because she didn't stop walking until she was directly in front of me, not even two feet away.

I looked down upon her with wide, scared eyes unsure of what to do. "Chr-"

I then abruptly stopped speaking, but not because of something she said. In fact, she didn't speak at all. Before I could say her name, she leaned forward and wrapped her arms around me. Her head became buried in the chest of my shirt. Christine was... hugging me.

IIIIIII

Although part of Christine felt uncomfortable about showing her emotions, the other part of her was past caring. After being so afraid, confused, and alone in the woods, what she needed now was reassurance. She wanted to know Erik wasn't upset with her for running away.

Plus, she felt strangely light-headed, as if perhaps this were all a dream.

Just stop thinking, her mind whispered.

So, she gave in. She hugged him.

Erik stood frozen as the embrace continued. Being someone who was usually in control and thought of everything, he was alarmed to find he hadn't been prepared for this. She was touching him freely, without having to be persuaded.

Perhaps it would be best for him not to do or say anything. Erik truly didn't want this moment to end.

They stayed like that for a while, neither making the first move to back away.

She was beginning to tremble, though. Perhaps due to the cool temperature? Or something else?

Well, whatever it was due to, Erik decided he probably needed to acknowledge it. "Christine?" he called softly. "Angel?"

His voice was like a warm blanket. "Hmmm?" she purred. Christine wasn't aware of what the problem was.

Erik's concern was building. His Christine definitely didn't look well, nor was she acting like her usual self. The situation made absolutely no sense, either. She obviously had wanted to get away from him, hence her running, but now she was back willingly and hugging him. Was she even in pain? Her wounded state should not cause such a euphoric attitude.

"Christine," he said again holding her gently by the shoulders at arms length. "Are you alright? Are you hurting?" He studied her with a furrowed brow.

Christine slowly looked from his intense eyes to his still hands. Then, rather abruptly, she frantically yelled, "Please don't be mad, Erik! I'm sorry! I don't know why I did it! I- I just think.. I think.." Taking a calming breath, she finished softly, "I should stop thinking so much."

He blinked and then blinked again. Is this reality? His eyes stayed focused on her flawless, desperate face. My Christine apologized for hurting me. She has finally come to realize that her constant negative over-analyzing of each matter pertaining to us is meaningless. She certainly looked like she was serious.