Chapter 3

Chapter 3

IIIIIII

It was a beautiful spring afternoon, but Erik wasn't noticing that. He was waiting impatiently for Christine to arrive for her voice lesson. He paced the foyer of his home and looked down at his watch multiple times. After three minutes of continuing the same routine, the door bell finally rang signaling Christine's arrival. Erik moved to the door and opened it, a sigh of relief escaping him as soon as his eyes met hers. Her fresh appearance and cheerful expression could brighten anyone's day, and it most certainly always had an effect on him. "Good afternoon, Christine."

She smiled at him and casually said, "Hi, Mr. Destler," before walking inside.

Erik was unusually excited on this particular day. This voice lesson was going to be different. For the first time, she would be singing new music he had written especially for her.

In actuality, he was incredibly nervous.. What would she think of his music? He even wondered if he should tell her it was his composition, that he had written it. He most certainly wouldn't reveal that he had written it for her. That would bring up unwanted questions, such as why he had written it with her in mind. Erik didn't quite know the answer to that. He only knew that she was.. important. She was a shining star in a vast sea of dull singers. It was nothing more than that. No, his feelings only went as far as her voice, no further. Or, well, that was what he always told himself..

Her words made him sigh. 'Why must she always refer to me as 'Mr. Destler'?' Without being able to hold back, he corrected her. "My name is Erik, Christine. You do not always have to be so formal, you know." He made sure to keep his tone amiable, so as not to alarm her, although he was a little alarmed himself. None of his students called him 'Erik'. He'd never wanted any of them to. Christine was different, though. She had always been different, ever since that first day back six months ago... Yes, he knew the exact moment she had come into his life. But it was only her voice that mattered to him, nothing more! If that was the case, though, then why did he wish for her to refer to him as 'Erik'? Her laughter caused to him to blink, coming out of his thoughts.

"Oh, right. Sorry."

"There is no need to apologize," Erik assured her with a warm smile. "I only think it is fair that you call me by my first name since I call you by yours."

"I'll try to remember that.. Erik." Her eyes seemed to gaze into his when she spoke his name, as if she had put feeling into the spoken word.

His eyes widened briefly when she said it while looking at him in such a way... He nodded somewhat mechanically, still stunned, and led her to the music room so that they could begin their lesson.

IIIIIII

Erik smiled to himself as the memory faded. That day had been highly significant, for that was the day that he was certain he'd fallen in love with her. She'd spoken his name for the first time. Actually, that had been the only time she'd ever spoken his name. What he wouldn't give to hear her say it again.

And he would. He would hear her beautiful voice say his name again and again, because she would be his. Soon, in a couple of hours, she would be with him. Forever. Erik had it all planned out. He would interrupt her daily jog, the daily jog he himself had instructed her to take during a voice lesson so long ago. Exercise helped with breath support, so she had been all too willing to take his advice. It was a good thing, too, since it was soon to be the key to his plans.

He would interrupt her jog, and everything else would be a quick but careful process. Unfortunately, sedation would be necessary, for it was clear that she would never come to him willingly. Erik was almost past caring, though. He was so obsessed with his plan that the thought of forcing her into unconsciousness wouldn't faze him.