Irreplaceable(Alex Smith)

I took a deep breath and entered the Super Bowl party. As I looked around I saw him talking to some blonde girl. From what I've heard he's been dating her for about a month. My friends told me she's a complete dunce and an ex cheerleader.

I walk over to the bar and order a drink, as I'm turning to leave I feel like someone is watching me. I turn and look directly at him for the first time since he was traded to Kansas City.

He looks exactly like how I remember, tall and muscular with the most beautiful blue eyes ever. The blue eyes that I see every single night before I go to sleep.

I can't show him I'm still in love him. I look back at him and raise an eyebrow. He blushes and looks down like he's embarrassed that I saw her. Frankly I don't blame him she's obviously had some work done, no girl that thin has natural boobs that big.

I turn away and scan the rest of the party. There he is the reason I still know what's going on in Alex's life, Joe Staley.

I walked over to him.

"Hey, long time no see." He said.

"Hey Joe." I laughed as I gave him a hug.

"Alex seems happy to see you." Said Joe.

"Yeah right, he's just been staring at me like a stalker all night." I said.

"You know he almost didn't come because he didn't want you to see him. You saw his reaction when he saw you look at his girlfriend." Said Joe.

"What is he ashamed to be seen with that slut?" I snorted.

"Actually yes, yesterday he kept going on and on about how she's nothing compared to you." Joe said raising an eyebrow at me.

"Don't give me that look Joe, if Alex still cared about me he would have said something by now, it's been years. Or he wouldn't have just left me behind in San Francisco." I snapped.

"Whatever you say, but that man is still head over heels in love with you." Joe said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Mhm." Was all I could say.

My head was racing, what if Alex really did still love me? Then he wouldn't be standing over there with his girlfriend. What if Alex was only dating her because he was lonely? He could have come back to me and asked to try again. I just had to except the fact that Alex had moved on and stop clinging to the desperate hope that he still had feelings for me. I have to move on just like he did.

"You still love him don't you?"

Joe's question brought me back to reality.

"What do you think?" I asked Joe giving him a sad smile.

"Things will get better you'll see."  Joe said, before giving me a hug and moving to talk to someone else.
As soon as Joe left I could feel Alex's eyes on me again.

Once the game was over I decided to go home. As I was walking towards my car I heard a voice call out.

"I didn't think you would leave with at least saying hi."

I wheeled around. I'd know that voice anywhere. I hear it in my dreams every night.

"I thought you wouldn't want your ex around your new girlfriend." I shot back.

The look of playfulness in Alex's eyes vanished as soon as the words left my mouth.  

"I.. I do.. Don't." Was all that he was able say.

Alex always stutters when he's uncomfortable or unable to come up with what he thinks is a good answer.

"You know I've waited so long for this moment, to finally be able to ask you the one question that's been bothering me ever since you left." I said.

"What is it?" Alex asked.

I've never seen him this nervous before.

"Why did you leave?" I asked.

Alex sighed like he was expecting my question but didn't want to answer it.

"I couldn't just ask you to move half way across the country for me. It wouldn't be fair to you. Everything is here for you, your friends and family, your job. I couldn't just ask you to leave all that for me." Alex said, the look on his face pleading with me to understand.

"So you thought, I'll just replace her in Kansas City that way I can get a new girl without looking like a complete asshole." I snapped.

"I can't replace someone who's irreplaceable." Alex said.

"Save it for your new slut Alex." I yelled.

I turned around and got into my car. Driving away with tears rolling down my cheeks.