Chapter V

Chapter V:
Haunted Dreams

"Nothing is as sweet as the whisper of an angel's fluttering wings."

Piled upon the dew covered grass, the crusty brown leaves whirled around in a circle, like a small tornado sweeping the beautiful place. The mystifying colors of the sun shone onto the pile of leaves glistening brightly, as the smell of the seasonal breeze bitterly blew over Daichi's shoulders and neck, giving him that tingling sensation everyone gets at the beginning of autumn.

He found himself standing in a familiar place. Daichi paced hastily around the open with a puzzled expression written on his face. The pungent smell of maple leaves and apple ciders swarmed his senses, causing his nose to twitch. 

Where am I? Why is it autumn? His eyebrows furrowed as he asked himself. It took a couple of seconds for him to realize that he was standing in the middle of an apple orchard. He didn't know why he was there, until he heard giggles coming from behind.

Daichi went to the direction where the voices were coming from, and there he saw two high school boys under the shade of a huge maple tree. The sunlight blazed fiercely through its leaves, giving it a breathtaking impression that matched the season.

"Hey? Do you guys know where am I?" He approached the two as he smiled. Daichi's face collapsed into a frown when the two of them didn't even notice his presence, it was as if he wasn't there. "Hello? Do you guys know where am I?" He tried again, but still, it was to no avail.

Daichi took a few steps closer to get a clearer view. He was taken aback when he realized who the boys were, and he began to twiddle with his fingers in more ways than one. "Y-You're me!" He pointed to the guy with shiny raven locks.

It took him a while before he was able to process everything. He then averted his gaze from his younger self to the boy he was with. "S-Sugawara?" His palm landed on his mouth at the sight of the grey-haired lad.

He stood there momentarily, unsure of what to do and what to feel. He noticed that the younger him and the younger Sugawara was having a great time with each other. Daichi didn't know what this meant. He just settled with the thought of his mind, playing tricks on him.

"Our graduation is tomorrow, I hope you never forget me when you go to college." Sugawara beamed, and he heard his younger self snicker.

The high school Daichi tugged on Sugawara's cheeks, he planted a small kiss on the young lad's forehead as he smiled. "I would never forget someone who added color to my life. I love you."

"I love you, too." Sugawara sealed their lips with a kiss and Daichi felt his whole body froze. What is the meaning of this? He repeatedly asked himself when the younger Daichi and Sugawara started to walk away.

"WAIT!" He screamed, catching up with their pace. The high school boys never paid him any attention, and Daichi was barely keeping up.

He decided to quicken his stride and was able to grab Sugawara by the shoulders. The young boy faced him with a huge grin plastered on his face. His gleeful expression dissipated, and it was replaced by a melancholic one.

"I thought you said you'd never forget me?" A meaningful smile was on his face. He knew that Sugawara was directly talking to him, and not to his younger self.

He took a step back, his heart racing as his mouth fell agape.

"W-What?" He tried to clarify, but everything around him swirled in motion and suddenly, all Daichi could see was pitch-black.

•••

"Finally, you're awake!" He heard someone laugh, and Daichi pivoted his head to the side. Sugawara was beaming at him. He looked like he had been waiting for him to wake up.

"Come, breakfast is ready!" Sugawara motioned for him to follow. It wasn't long before he got up on his feet, and trailed behind.

Daichi's thoughts trailed off yet again. His mind troubled with the dream he had and what it possibly meant.