Chapter VI

Chapter VI:
A Life In Danger

"Wherever you go, whatever you do, know that an angel is watching over you."

The naked winter trees lined in the avenue. Daichi's breath rose in visible puffs to join the darkened and clouded afternoon sky.

There was a freezing chill in the air that brought crispness to the leaves, bejeweled with frost, that crunched underfoot. Rosy cheeked, he stamped to keep warm, pulling his woolen hat over his reddened ears and tightening his scarf over his blue-tinged lips.

Teeth chattered and the cold seeped into his gloves, numbing his fingers until they ceased to bend properly, stiffened and frigid.

Though the winter had been long, the first signs of spring grew boldly, as if commanding the warm weather to come all the more faster. It was as if the teeth of winter was beginning to shatter and the kiss of a new season threatened to approach.

Daichi was walking alongside Iwaizumi, heading home after both their shifts ended. They were groggy, brought upon by the heavy load of work in the shop.

He stared aimlessly at his foot, observing how his winter boots would leave imprints on the bed of snow underneath. His mind started going places again. He was still bothered by a lot of things, but usually, Sugawara was involved.

"Hey," Iwaizumi called, snapping him off of his reverie. "Are you okay, dude?"

"Y-Yeah." Daichi smiled and nodded his head encouragingly at him.

"Are you still bothered by your housemate?" Daichi pursed his lips when Iwaizumi broached the topic.

He let out a huff of annoyance before he swung his head to the side, and faced Iwa. "Yeah, everything's been totally strange about him lately."

"One time, I mentioned his name to Oikawa, and you should've seen the look on his face. It was priceless." A soft giggle escaped from Iwaizumi's lips, as he casually shoved his hands inside his mackintosh coat.

"Why?"

"He was horrified!" Iwaizumi exclaimed animatedly, and the both of them laughed. "I asked him why, and he didn't answer. I couldn't forget the look on his face when I mentioned Suga-chan's name. He immediately froze, and he looked like he had seen a ghost."

Daichi could hear the sound of his heart, reverberating like African tom-tom drums, beating to the sound of a peculiar tune. Everything Iwaizumi said made him think deep.

An inner voice told him that Sugawara was hiding something.

Iwaizumi snapped his fingers in front of his face, cutting him off his trance. "Please tell me you're okay."

"Yeah, I am." He flashed a content smile before walking past Iwaizumi as he sighed.

"Daddy!" Daichi swung his head to his left, and saw Iwaizumi and Oikawa's adopted daughter Azalea.

The little child was crossing the street, failing to notice the fast paced ten-wheeler truck coming her way.

"AZI!" He heard Iwaizumi shout, and Daichi instinctively ran towards her, pushing little Azi out of the way.

Everything around him slowed down, he was just standing still, his feet glued on the road as the speeding truck approached. He heard Iwaizumi scream his name before everything blacked out.

The last thing Daichi saw was Sugawara smiling at him, he was encased in his arms, and the clouds were shining bright behind his back.