Chapter VIII

Chapter VIII:
Sudden Flashbacks

"An angel is an infinity — sometimes trapped in the limited confines of the human form."

Daichi found himself inside a moving car. He looked outside the window and saw that it was already dark.

His nose twitched when the pungent stench of air freshener swarmed his senses. He looked straight ahead and saw two people in the front seat, a look of sheer frustration evident on their faces.

"But I thought you said you were just going to Tokyo for college?" The voice was deep, and Daichi easily recognized that it was his.

"Y-Yeah but–" Sugawara stopped midway, his voice broke as tears glistened his eyes.

"And now you're leaving the country, without any assurance of coming back!" The younger Daichi faked a smile, shooting a profane look at Sugawara.

"Sorry that it was all of a sudden."

"No..." The younger Daichi firmly said, tightening his grip on the steering wheel, "...I do not approve of that!"

With that said, he stepped on the accelerator with full force, hitting maximum speed.

"Daichi, slow down!" Sugawara started to cry, his gaze fixed on the road as he tried to talk some sense to his lover.

The younger Daichi ignored his request, and continued to drive at such high velocity. "Daichi you are gonna get us killed!"

His eyes shot wide, and he heard his heart beating fast for an unknown reason. He swore he had seen this before.

Daichi you are gonna get us killed!

That line echoed inside his mind for a couple of times. His head started throbbing hard as sudden flashbacks overwhelmed him.

"DAICHI!" Sugawara shouted at the top of his lungs. He looked up and saw his younger self, enveloping Sugawara in his arms, as a ten-wheeler truck was coming their way.

The collision brought back the traumas and his memories of the past. The next thing he knew, he found himself standing at the site where the collision occurred.

"Sugawara!" He heard his younger self cry. Daichi took a few steps forward to get a clearer view.

Sugawara was bathed in his own blood. He was folded into a tight hug by the younger Daichi, who cried uncontrollably at the horrible scene.

His tears started to edge his eyes, and a few seconds later, they were already cascading down his cheeks.

"I remember everything now. We were in a car crash, because of me." He whispered softly, curling his fists as his body began to shudder.

The scene faltered slowly before it entirely faded, and what was left was Daichi, standing alone in the middle of the street.

"I remember everything now. He died because of me." Daichi fell on his knees, his eyes were still overwhelmed by his tears.

He desperately wiped them away, as his gaze surveyed the place. A shocked expression crossed his face when he realized where the accident occurred.

The site of the collision happened at the same site where he found Sugawara, covered in a bed of snow a few weeks ago.