Chapter 3: The First Night

Elizabeth ~ July 2010

I woke up to the sound of my alarm going off. I really hated that sound. I wished they still had those clock-radios that would wake you up with a song. Well, I still had to get up. I proceeded to get out of my bed and go make a pot of coffee, only to realize that it was still in my car. Wonderful. I'll just get coffee on my way to the crime lab, I thought.

So, since I was without my coffee, I just made myself presentable, grabbed my folder with my resume in it and walked out the door. My stomach kept doing nervous little flips on the way to the crime lab. I kept wondering what they would think of me. I was worried they would tell me that I didn't have enough credits or that there was something wrong in my resume. I pulled in to the visitor's parking lot and sat in my car for a bit as I tried to calm down. I kept telling myself that they had an opening and that I would get the job. I just needed some more confidence. I also resolved not to tell anyone that my father may be Gilbert Grissom. I didn't want to have any advantage other than what I've accomplished through my studies.

I got out of my my car, filled with new confidence and marched to the entrance of the crime lab.  I checked my clothes before I walked in. I wore my nice black dress pants and my frilly purple blouse. I fixed my hair up in a hairclip so it was away from my face. After I realized I looked fine, I walked in the door and marched to the front desk. My head held high, I paused right before I got to the desk, and looked up to see Sara, the woman I'd met the day before. She seemed to recognize me right away.

"Elizabeth? What are you doing here?" she wondered, looking puzzled.

"I'm here for an interview. What are you doing here?" I askeed, astonished. I was just as surprised as she appeared to be.

"I work here," she laughed. "You're here for the new position?"

"Yes," I answered with a nervous chuckle.

"What a small world," she said, calmly, her laugh fading as she seemed to look me over again. An odd expression crossed her face, but she quickly hid it and continued. "Here, let me take you to Catherine. She'll know what to do with you."

She led me through the hallway to where Catherine must've been. I looked around on the way there. It was amazing actually seeing everyone working. People bustling to and fro, working with machines and filing through papers. It was like a bee hive.

"Hey Elizabeth?" Sara asked, still walking forward at a fast pace.

"Yeah?" I replied, eyes still taking in everything.

"What do you specialize in? I mean, what are you best at?"

"Um, probably field work. I do dabble in entomology," I muttered. I realized that was not a great way to answer that question.

She chuckled as if there were some inside joke that I was missing."That's great because, well I'm not sure, but I think we could use a new field agent. Our other candidates have been dropping like flies," she chuckled, and my eyes widened at her. She caught my expression and immediately shook her head. "Oh no, not like that. As long as all your references are in order, there should be no problem."

"Awesome," I said, delighted. Maybe I would have a chance. I looked over everything twice before setting it aside to get some sleep last night.

"Hey Catherine?" Sara asked as we walked into an office. There was a woman with strawberry blonde hair talking on the phone as we walked in. I guessed that she was probably Catherine.

She hung up the phone and turned around to face us. "Yes?" she demanded. She was very beautiful, yet her eyes were creased with worry and she seemed stressed about something.