Chapter 6: Surprises Surprises.

Elizabeth ~ September 2011

I was in shock. I knew it; I had to be. There was no other explanation for me to be just standing there, staring at nothing and not saying a word. It felt just like the moment the doctor told me my mother had passed, only less tragic. Much less. I could sense that the people around me were getting worried, but I didn't actually take notice of them. I could clearly see that Nick was freaking out and Sara was saying my name, trying to snap me out of my stupor. I didn't really know the reason I was in such a state. It wasn't that much of a surprise. Maybe somewhat unexpected, but nevertheless it was something we all thought could be true.

Next thing I knew, Sara was pinching me. I wanted to get out of this this state of shock, but for some reason, I couldn't. I was frozen. I couldn't even move if I tried. And trust me, I tried. It felt like one of those dreams, where you needed to run but you were frozen in place, not able to move a muscle. I could hear, vaguely, Nick saying things like 'What's wrong with her?' or 'What should we do?' Eventually he got fed up with 'I don't know' or 'Call the paramedics.' He didn't like the hospitals or doctors anymore than I did.

Nick came up right in front of me and looked me straight in the eye.

"Come on, Elizabeth. Wake up," he whispered, softly, being a little more intimate than I would have expected. His eyes gleamed and I got the feeling he'd sprung an idea.

"Okay, fine, Catherine and Greg, you go get the paramedics. Sara and Hodges, I need a cold pack and a hot pack," Nick announced, not taking his eyes off me.

Sara looked at him strangely, "Both?"

He rolled his eyes, "Yes. She needs something to shock her back to life. You have any better ideas?"

Sara just shook her head and walked out of the room with Hodges. Once they were all gone, he looked into my eyes, searching for life.

Not finding any he said, "Elizabeth, you brought this on yourself. So don't complain after I wake you up."

Well, that couldn't be good. Depending on the definition of 'good'.

Nick took my face in his hands and did the unthinkable. I now saw why he wanted everyone out of the room; he kissed me.

Oh, I thought, a shock.

It wasn't a short little kiss either. His soft, warm lips crushed against mine, seeking a reaction, and giving me butterflies. And he sure got what he wanted.

My rigid muscles finally relaxed and the ice in my blood melted. I closed my eyes and shuddered. I was all warm and toasty now. I could feel my face coming back to life and I smiled. I opened my eyes and saw that Nick was smiling too. His eyes gleaming and his bright southern smile made me want to swoon. But, I didn't. That was also unthinkable.

You see, there was a rule here. You were not allowed to date inside the lab. You couldn't be on the same shift as the person you were in a relationship with. And if you break that rule, they, the bosses, would move both of you to opposite shifts. At least, that was what I'd heard. I was sure if Nick and I were to get involved, we would keep it a secret. And I think that' was exactly what Nick had in mind when he sent everyone out of the room, knowing the only thing that could possibly wake me up would be a kiss from him. Or a shock a the very least, because that was very unexpected. I felt ridiculously like Snow White or Sleeping Beauty. Jeez.

"I feel much better now," I whispered, not stopping the smile that was still on my face.

"Thank goodness you're alright!" Nick beamed, giving me a small hug while I was still sitting on a chair.