Chapter 7: The Night Out

Gil ~ September 2011

Staring at me across the hallway, I already knew, was my daughter. I didn't know what Sara could possibly have been talking about when she said Elizabeth looked like me. She was the exact image of Evelyn. Her curly hair was just as wild as her mother's, only much longer and not blonde. Her tentative smile and pale blue eyes reminded me so much of Evelyn. I guessed, since Sara only knew me and not Evelyn, she wouldn't have been able to see the resemblance.

Eventually, she got the courage and walked up to our little gathering in the lobby. I looked over at Sara, who gave me a reassuring smile. I smiled back, happier than I had been in a long time. I felt as happy as I was when Sara agreed to marry me. Maybe a bit more.

"Elizabeth," Sara started. "I would like you to meet Gil Grissom, your biological father."

"Hello, Elizabeth," I beamed, smiling and holding out my hand.

"Hello... Dad," she giggled timidly and shook my hand. I still wasn't quite used to the idea of being a father. So it shocked me a little when she said that. It also made me want to jump for joy.

"It's very nice to finally meet you," I replied, my smile so big it probably reached my eyes.

"You too," she giggled again, her eyes twinkling. Her eyes, the same color as my own, were vast and filled with wisdom, though she already reminded me so much of her mother.

"I'll be looking forward to getting to know you, but for right now, you all need to get back to work," I told them all sternly, just like old times.

"Nice to have you back, Grissom," Nick muttered sarcastically. Everyone chuckled and Elizabeth joined in with a nervous laugh, most likely unsure what was funny.

"Okay, we're definitely celebrating this weekend," Catherine stated. "How about Saturday night?"

"Sure, that'll work," Sara said.

"It's okay with me," Elizabeth chimed in.

"Alright then. Now back to work," Catherine announced, dismissing everyone.

"Here's the key to the apartment," Sara said, placing it in my hand.

"Okay, I'll see you when you get home then," I told her, my smile still plastered on my face.

"I love hearing that," She purred. I knew that look in her eyes. I bent my head down to give her that long awaited kiss. I just realized how much I had missed her. Now, I didn't want to let her go so soon. Neither one of us had the will to pull away. Catherine had to clear her throat to bring us back to reality. Sara blushed and we moved apart. We said goodbye to each other and then Catherine gave me a ride to the apartment.

I couldn't wait for Sara to get home. I couldn't wait until Saturday either. I was just too anxious to get to know Elizabeth.

As soon as I walked into the apartment, I dropped my luggage on the floor and collapsed on the couch. My long trip home was exhausting. I fell asleep listening to Frank Sinatra while thinking about Sara and Elizabeth.

Elizabeth

Saturday afternoon I was frantically preparing myself for that night. I took a shower that lasted 45 minutes just trying to calm my nerves. After the hot water ran out, I needed to find a nice dress to wear. I was digging through my messy closet when I realized what I needed. It was a dress my mom bought me in my second year of college. She wasn't as sick then. I dragged it out of hiding and realized it still had a tag on it. I never got to wear it. I didn't know why either; it was gorgeous.