Prologue

"Where is he?!" I screamed at the stolid suspect. She remained silent, staring into space. It was as if she hadn't heard me at all.

Her eyes, once glazed and unfeeling, now stared intently at me.

"The riddles will tell you. The riddles know. Where ever he is, they will show," she chanted, her eyes glazing over once again.

"I'm only going to ask you one more time. Where is he?!" I persisted, bent on an answer. I usually wasn't screaming at suspects, but this one made it personal.

"You will ask me again. This isn't my last rhyme. You will ask me until he has run out of time," she stated in a monotone voice. 

I felt the blood run to face as my temper got out of control. I was normally level headed, but this girl set me on edge. I clenched my fists and pounded on the table, the sound shaking the interrogation room. I burst from my chair and almost leaped across the table, but Brass caught my elbow and pulled me back. The girl's eyes were still blank. 

"Stop, Elizabeth!" Brass yelled as he tried to pull me out of the room, all the while I was resisting. I couldn't explain my behavior, only that I would do anything to keep my family safe.

At the last moment, when Brass had almost pulled me out the door, the suspect raised her head. Her eyes were crystal clear and piercing once again. Her smile was sickly sweet as she crossed her arms and bared her teeth. She was a viper, a deadly snake whose head needed to be severed.

She knew she was guilty. She knew where he was. She was committed to keeping his whereabouts a secret. She wanted to make me miserable, and I had no idea why.

I resisted again, throwing myself towards her. This time, Brass gave a strong tug at my arm and was nearly dragging me out of the room. I kept telling him I just needed to ask her more questions, that I needed to find him. I was on the verge of tears because I was so angry. I knew I needed to calm down and get out of there.

If I didn't, I could end up executing  a murder myself.