Chapter 5: The Truth

Elizabeth ~ September 2011

"D-did you... Just say... Grissom?" I stammered. "And that I could be his daughter?"

Nick just stood there, frozen. He didn't say a word. Finally, Catherine spoke up.

"Uh-um, well yes. Sort of. You see, well, we don't know yet. Hodges is comparing your DNA as we speak. Do you know who he is?" she asked hesitantly.

"Yes, I know of him. My mother told me about him... Right before she died. I should tell you guys the whole truth of why I came here," I said. How was I going to break it to them?

"What's going on?" Sara said, making me jump. She came up right behind me.

"She found out," Nick said, stoic. What was his problem? He wasn't the one who just found out his coworkers might know his father.

Sara looked at me in shock. "I'm sorry Elizabeth. We didn't mean for you to find out this way."

"It's okay. I'm fine. But I do need to tell you all the truth," I insisted.

"Okay, we'll let you have your chance. But let's not talk about this here. We should all go to breakfast. I'll buy," Nick said, with a little more emotion this time. He sounded concerned. He offered to drive me to breakfast and I told him that I would ride with Sara, but he persisted. So, finally, I agreed. We all took our leave from the lab and separated to our designated cars. Once we were in his car, he gave me a full apology, which was completely unnecessary.

"First off, I am so sorry for calling you Lizzy. I didn't realize your mother had passed and that the name was special to you. Secondly, I should've told you earlier. I would've if it wasn't for Sara and Catherine holding me back. I feel so bad that you found out this way. And third, I should've asked you right off the bat if you were Grissom's daughter," he said.

"Nick, hold up. We don't even know if I'm Grissom's daughter yet. I'm not even sure. I don't know for a fact my mother was totally sane while she was in the hospital. You're being irrational. And, really, I'm fine with you, or anyone, calling me Lizzy or Liz for that matter," I said calmly.

"I'm almost positive that you're Grissom's daughter. You look almost exactly like him, in a more feminine way, of course," he smiled, and I laughed. "Except for your eyes. They have the same wisdom in them as Grissom's, if you don't mind me saying, but you make them your own. There's more brightness in them..." he stopped suddenly and I looked up at him. "I didn't mean to... Sorry, that was weird," he said, trying to make a joke of it. I could see he was a little embarrassed though.

I laughed. "Actually, I was kind of enjoying it. No one has complimented me on my eyes in a while."

There was only one person who ever told me that my eyes were pretty and that person was my mom. I would always complain that they weren't as bright and beautiful as hers. She always told me that no one likes their own unique and beautiful features. I always thought it was to make me feel better.

"Oh, well you're welcome then," he said, smiling. He was quite handsome when he smiled, which made him even more charming than he already was.

Oh no, Elizabeth! I thought to myself. You are NOT falling for one of your coworkers! It CANNOT happen. I mentally slapped myself for even thinking about it.

You know you want to, a little voice in my head said.

NO! I countered.

Nick glanced over at me and smiled. I returned the smile. He pulled the car into the parking lot of a diner that I was much more familiar with now.