Part 9

The next day I hear yelling coming from downstairs. I walk down the stairs and listen. “You're overreacting Kassie,” I hear my dad say. “Over reacting? No Blake I'm not. Farrah and Cody are alone while that man is out and could be anywhere,” she yells at him. I hear a bang and a smash of glass. “Don't you think I know that.... I have you and the girls to worry about to you know,” he snaps. I slowly walk in the room and see a cup of coffee spilled on the floor, “Are you guys alright?” I asked looking at my moms teared figure and my dads angry one. My mom takes a breath and smiles a little, “Morning sweetie,” she says, “Want some pancakes?” she asked as she starts cleaning up the mess on the floor. “I got it,” dad says bending down and picking them up. Everything is tense at the moment and I wanted to know why, “So why are we talking about Aunt Farrah and Uncle Cody?” I asked. I found out a year ago that they were married to each other, they were perfect together. My mom freezes and looks out the window and my dad ignores my question. “Are we going to visit them?” I asked sitting down. My mom turns and sigh, “No sweetie, you're dad and Chris are headed down there for a few days,” she says. I look at my dad and see he is leaning on the wall now. “why?” I asked. “Important stuff about someone... don't worry baby girl, we will be back before you know it,” he says kissing my head.

While things at home were awkward and tense, school wasn't any better. Cayden said Austin didn't come home last night which had me worried. I walked to my locker and seen Lena waiting for me. “Morning,” I say. She pins me tot the locker, “What the hell happened?” she said demanding a respond. I shove her back a little, “Calm it girl, geez. What are you talking about?” I say fixing my hair. “Austin got benched for tomorrows game because he got in a fight with the rival schools star player last night,” she says. My jaw drops. Crazy best friend say what? No way, Austin wouldn't have done that this close to the state game. “That's a lie, he wouldn't do that. Football is his life,” I say opening my locker. She leans against the wall, “well believe it girl, because he is in the office right now as we speak,” she says nodding toward Austin walking out of the main office I close my locker and catch up to him, “Austin,” I say walking along with him. I notice his face is bruised and cut up. He keeps walking until we are outside in the parking lot before he stops and looks at the ground. I look up at him, “Why did you do it?” I asked. He looks at me, “I'm sorry I didn't know I had to report to you,” he snapped. I wasn't in the mood today, “Alright, I know your family is handling this crap right now, but yelling at me and getting benched... what is wrong with you?” I shout at him. He shakes his head, “I don't care if I get benched,” he says. I look at him in shock, “Don't care? Football is your life Austin. Why are you doing this? What is going on, talk to me,” I beg him. He turns and looks at me and holds my face, “Football means nothing to me, it's not my life anymore... You're my life. Ever since we met, I loved you. You are my world, and when Mason treated you like an object to be one, I lost it. And having the thing at home going on fueled my anger and I should have never snapped at you like I did, please forgive me?” he begged me. I look up at and examine his face, “Of course I forgive you Austin,” I say hugging him.

The rest of the day went by in a flash and we were now back at my house with everyone. “Yeah everyone's dads left to see Farrah and Cody, isn't that weird?” Aiden asked. We all agree. “Yeah my parents wouldn't say anything about why though,” Avery adds on. “Because it's nothing to worry about,” My mom says walking in with Rebecca. Austin and cayden greet their mom as I do to mine. “Well why can't we know then?” Jason asked. “Because, it's not important,” My mom repeats herself. I give her a look, “But dad never leaves without telling me why,” I state. I get a look from my mom that tells me to drop the subject. “Anyways, how you feeling today mom,” Cayden says kissing his moms head. She smiles a little, “Better I guess. I don't know,” she sighs. Austin wraps an arm around her, “How about you and Aunt Kass go out for dinner tonight, a girls night,” he says with a smile. My mom looks around, “Well, I have two kids I have to feed still young man,” my mom jokes. Ryder wraps an arm around me and Avery holds Lizze, “Leave it to us,” Aiden says with a smile. Rebecca shakes her head laughing, “Alright, im down for it Kass,” she says looping her arm with my mothers. “Alright fine... but Lizze needs to be in bed by 8 and no later,” she says kissing my head as they leave. “Alright, what do we want for dinner,” Ryder shouts. Lizze claps, “yummm,” she says in her cute little girl voice. I smile at her and take her from Avery. “How about Pizza,” Cayden says pulling out his phone. We all agree on Pizza and move to the living room.

Later that night everyone left for home. Lizze was asleep next to me on my bed because she had a bad dream. As I lay there half asleep I hear the front door open. Odd, mom called and said her and Becca booked a hotel because they were having a spa day there. I slowly sit up in my bed and move Lizze off of my arm and stand up. I open my bedroom down slowly and quietly not and walk down the hall. I get to the top of the stairs and carefully look over the ledge and see a man walking around looking for something. I cover my mouth as fear takes over me. I run back to my room and lock the door. I quickly pick up Lizze and run to the closet. “Courtney?” Lizze says in a scared sleepy tone as she clings to me. I start to have a panic attack and grab my phone. “Focus Court,” I whisper to myself as I dial Austin. “come on, pick up pick up,” I say as it rings for the tenth time. “Hello?” a very sleepy Austin says. “Austin!” I whisper. I hear him move around, “Courtney, do you know what time it is? Why are you awake?” he says yawning. A loud bang on the bedroom door makes me gasp and hold Lizze closer to me. “What was that?” A now worried Austin says. I don't speak as the banging continues. “There's someone in the house,” I say through tears. I hear him moving around, “Alright, listen to me court, you need to stay calm or you'll have a panic attack and you don't want Lizze to see that,” he says. I take a few breaths, “Alright,” I whisper. Another bang fills the room and I hold back a scream. “where are you?” Austin asked. “In my room, I locked the door and we are in the closet... But I don't think the door will hold--” my thought is interrupted by the sound of the door squeaking open. I cover Lizzes mouth and move her behind me, “He's in the room,” I whisper so softly I doubt he heard me. I listen as the footsteps walk around the room, Lizze is in tears as am I but I am keeping it together for her. “Courtney, I am about to come for you, jus--” he was cut of by my scream when the door suddenly opened and I was dragged out by the leg.

I scream as the person pins me to the floor and is on top of me, “Trying to hide sweet heart,” he says holding a knife to my neck. Lizze is in full out freak mode in the closet crying but the guy doesn't seem to notice. “please don't,” I beg as tears pool out of my eyes. He looks at me confused, “You're not Kass,” he says. I look at him, Kass? How does he know my mom? Before anything else happened Austin ran up the stairs and tackled the man. They start throwing punches and I get up and go to grab the knife but the man beats me to it and slices my upper arm. I scream and hold my arm. Austin nails the guy in the face. He goes for another shot but the man runs out of the room and down the stairs right out of the house. Austin is trying to catch his breath. “Are you alright?” He asked taking my arm and looking over the cut. I nod and hug him. Lizze runs out and hugs me. “come on,” Austin says picking me up bridal style while Lizze rides on his back. His strength amazes me. A couple minutes later we are in his house with cayden on the phone with our moms. Austin leaves Lizze in Caydens room where she already fell back asleep on his bed. He brings me to the bathroom in his room and sets me on the counter. “I should have stayed the night, I knew I should have,” he said as he cleaned my cut out. I grab his face and make him look at me, “Hey, there was no way you could have known someone was going to break in,” I say kissing his head. He kisses me and finishes wrapping me up and we go to his room where we both fall asleep.

I don't know how long I was asleep but I woke up to the front door being slammed open. I jump as last nights events play in my mind. I feel a strong arm pull me closer, “Relax court, it's just our moms,” he says still asleep. I look at the clock, it's 6am. I lay back down and fall back asleep in Austins arms. A few hours later I wake up to an empty bed. I sit up confused until I hear the shower running. I slowly get out of bed and walk up to the main floor. “Thank god you're alright,” my mom says hugging me as soon as I reach the top step. “Need air mom,” I say pushing her back a little. She has tears in her eyes and she looks at my arm, “oh baby, I shouldn't have let you stay home alone,” she says. I shake my head, “Mom, stop crying. It was a break in you didn't know.. Besides,” I say as Austin walks up, “Austin took care of it,” I say hugging his waist. He wraps an arm around me with a smile. Rebecca then moves in and Hugs both Austin and me, “well I am thankful you two are alright,” she says. Cayden is on the side holding Lizze. I laugh, “She really likes you Cayden, little secret lover over there,” I tease. Cayden rolls his eyes and kisses Lizzes cheek before handing her to my mom. “You're dad said to call him tonight,” mom says to me. “You told him what happened?” I say annoyed. She nods, “Of course, his daughters could have got kidnapped,” she says walking out to the back yard with rebecca. I roll my eyes, “I swear,” I say. Austin smiles, “Now, what shall we do?” he asked pulling me along to the kitchen. I hop on the counter and he stands between my swinging legs, “hmmm, how about....... The beach?” I suggest.