Part 10

About two hours later we find ourselves sitting at the beach. All the boys and me. On our private beach behind our house down a little ways. I mean it wasn't seriously ours, but no one knew it was there because it is hidden by trees from the road so it's basically ours. “Whoa!” the boys says as I take my shirt of to reveal my bathing suit, and no they aren't referring to me. They've seen me in a bikini before, they are whoaing the huge cut no on my upper arm. “How the hell did you get that?” Ryder says looking it over. I look at Austin who is tense, he was still mad at himself for not being there sooner. “Someone broke in last night,” I say laying on my towel next to Austin. The others sit, “Who was it?” Avery asked. Austin shrugs, “Probably just some idiot looking for money or something,” he says playing with my hair. I sit up and sigh, “i don't think he was just some random guy,” I say making them all sit up. “why?” Ryder asked. “Well, when he was on me. He said 'You're not Kass' it was weird because that's my mom and I have never seen that man in my life,” I finish. “did you tell your mom this?” Jason asked. I shake my head, “No, I didn't think it was important,” I say truthfully. Aiden shakes his head, “You need to tell her Court, maybe she knows the person,” he says.

Later that night around 10, my mom and I are sitting watching a movie since it was Thursday and school was closed tomorrow. “So, when will dad be home?” I asked. She sigh, “Honestly, I dont know,” she says sounding upset. I turn toward her, “For real, why are they all down there?” I asked. My mom sighed and looked at me, “I guess you're old enough to know,” she starts. She turns toward me, “Well, You know Grandma Stevens is single right... Well it's because her husband, your dads and Aunt Farrahs dad abused her and kidnapped aunt Farrah when she was younger. Your father looked for years for her and tried protecting grandma,” she started. It took awhile to comprehend wheat she was saying and then it kicked in. “Did he get put in jail for all this?” I said shocked. She nods, “Yes, but a few days ago your father got word that he had escaped from the prison around where Cody and Farrah live,” she adds on, “So your dad and the boys went down there to make sure he didn't go after them, he doesn't know where Grandma lives and as far as we know not where we live,” she says. I think for a second, “Does he know who you are?” I whisper. She looks down and nods, “Yeah, I was there when we got Farrah back, he knows of me, why?” she says. “No reason.. Hey I think im headed to bed now,” I say getting up. “Alright, sleep good sweetheart,” she says as I walk up the stairs.

About an hour later I hear a thud downstairs and groan in annoyance. Shouldn't mom be in bed, it's almost 12. I slip on my slippers and walk downstairs, “Mom what ar--” I stop mid-sentence as I see my mom laying on the ground with a knife in her stomach. “Mom!” I say running over to her and shaking her, “Mom, wake up,” I say as tears start to stream down my cheeks. “Don't cry baby... you have to stay focused alright,” she says in barely a whisper. I nod and wipe my eyes trying to stay calm. She places a shaky hand on mine and looks down at her stab, “God I should have warned you sooner of him, he was the one who broke in I am sure,” she say looking back at me. “Im scared mom, I need you,” I whisper. She smiles a little, “I know baby, but listen to me alright....” she pauses and hisses in pain but regains herself, “Get Lizze and go to Austins... I don't care what happens, you stay there with him and wait for your dad to come,” she says in a serious tone. I shake my head, “I can't leave you here,” I say as more tears come. “NO, listen Courtney, What I need more than anything is for Lizze and you to be safe. Don't you worry about me, the only way he can hurt me is if he gets one of my babies and I wont let that happen,” she says kissing my hand. “Mom, I don't think I can,” I say letting all the tears fall. She softly smiles, “You can do it baby girl.... for Lizze please, you need to be there for her now. I won't be able to help her along the way like I did you, it's on you now. Teach her everything I taught you,” she says, “You're such a perfect daughter Court, and an amazing person. You're going to do great things when you're older.... And Austin, don't you dare let that boy go. He is perfect for you and you for him, let him know that he better take care of you with all his heart,” she says as she starts coughing up blood. I pull her to me, “Mom please don't leave me,” I sob. She slowly lets go of my hand and her eyes close. I hold her tight and cry.

I don't know how long I was sitting there but a loud shattering sound came from the basement. I carefully set my mom down and ran up to grab Lizze. “Lizze, come on,” I say picking her up and making her hang on to my back as I climb out the window. She clings to me like a monkey as I slowly make my way down. I hit the ground and I run to Austins. I bang on the door and he opens it. “What hap--” I push past him handing Lizze to him and call the police. After I get off the phone, Rebecca starts asking questions so I tell her everything that happened. Austin kisses my head, “Everything will be alright,” he says. We call up my dad and the other other boys and let them know. Soon enough the police arrived and found the man in the house and took him in. My mother was rushed to the hospital. Soon after we were in the waiting room with everyone, moms, dad, friends. “Kassie Stevens,” the doctor said walking out. Everyone stood. “Im her husband and these are her kids,” he says holding Lizze and has an arm around me. The doctor smiles at us, “You are a lucky group. It seems the knife missed all major organs and she should be free to go in about four days or less,” he says walking away. My dad kisses my head and hugs lizze, “Thank god,” he says.

After a few weeks everything was back to the way it used to be, well Austin was a little more aware of me now and protective since all that happened. He asked me to the dance which I accepted and we are looking forward to it. But right now was time for the state championship for our football team. “GO BOYS!” Me and Lena shout from the stands with the parents. Chris laughs, “calm down you two,” he jokes. I shove him, “Shut your face,” I tease. Lena laughs and blows a kiss to ryder. He asked her out yesterday and she accepted. Everything was perfect, even Stacy was being civil with us now that her and Jack started dating. I smiled down at the field as Austin had the ball and was making the final dash toward the line. We were playing Masons team tonight. The clock hit five seconds and we were all on our feet as Mason tackled Austin. It was dead silent, “ TOUCHDOWN!” the announcer shouted into the mic. The stands erupted in cheers and yelling. Mason got up and threw his helmet down. Austin got up and winked at me and I smiled. Show off! I ran down the stand and onto the field in the crowd of people. Austin picked me up and spun me, “You smell,” I joked kissing him. He laughed, “Love you too,” he said kissing me again. I laughed at him just as the others all tackled us and did a dog pile on the ground. Mom set Lizze on the top and took a picture, “That's one for the books,” She said. I smiled at this picture in front of me, not the one my mom took, but of this moment. All us friends together, our parents. I want this forever, I want to grow old with these boys and friends and have what out parents have when we have kids of our own.

  After the weekend and everyone was settled down from the big win Friday night, Monday bight brought a whole new excitement to the school. The championship soccer game. Soccer was the second biggest sport in this town and we havent won state since Crystal was on the team. Tonight we were falling behind, our team was losing players left and right. Lena called a time out and ran to the couch and said a few things. I was sitting in the stands with Austin and the others when she ran to us, “Suit up babe,” she said throwing me a jersey. “What?” I said getting up. She smiled, “Time to get your skills back in check, we need another player or we have to end the game,” she frowned. “I don't know if I am ready,” I said. Austin kissed me, “You can do this, you have to move on,” he said with a smile. I smiled and pulled it on, I was already in running shorts. We ran onto the field. I looked at the clock, two minutes to score three points. The ball went in the air and Lena got it and kicked it down the field. “COURT!” she shouted and kicked it to me. It all happened so fast, I took the shot and the buzzer went off. I scored one point. I fist bumped a few of my players and got ready again feeling the power of the game. Three points from me later and we were holding out state trophy. The crowd went wild just like at the football game. This was my new life, with old friends, and new habits. Life was perfect right now and the future is looking bright.