Prologue

Nightmares.  They haunt me where ever I go.

Everyone has a secret, whether big or small, it doesn’t matter.  We all live to hide something.  What’s my secret?  I’m a werewolf, the last one left in the whole world, and everyone is out to get me.

Five years ago, a small proportion of the human populations discovered the secret of the lycanthrope, and set out to eradicate our race.  They were called the Venari.  Packs were hunted down and slaughtered, some selected few were taken prisoner, but they died after endless tortures.  I was twelve when they came for my pack.

We were unprepared.  My parents had just enough time to hide me before they came.  They buried me in the ground, I kicked and screamed but they did it anyway, and I understand why they did it nowadays.  I could hardly breathe or move, dirt was everywhere, around me, on me, in my mouth, in my eyes, and to this day I have a fear of being buried alive.

As the screams from above filled the air, all I could do was listen.  They were all slaughtered, my parents, my friends, the Alpha and all of the others.  Their blood seeped through the ground and fell onto me, and I’ll forever remember the taste of it.

An hour later I dug myself out to find myself standing in the middle of a death field, the faces I’d grown up with now unrecognizable, I couldn’t find my parents in the remains because the bodies were so marred.  Horrified, I ran for my life away from the place I’d grown up in, taking refuge with an old family friend.

So that brings us to today, where the sky is blue and filled with fluffy clouds, and where the idea of a world full of werewolves is a myth.  I’m now seventeen and living on my own, hiding my true identity from the world.  The name my parents gave me was Alessia Diaz, but I had to take up a new one so that the humans that hunted us wouldn’t find me.  The name I have now is Dita Martinez.  The name Dita was Spanish and meant ‘spoils of war’, and I thought it was fitting.

I’m a werewolf, and I have to keep my existence a secret or I’ll be killed.

This is my story.