Chapter 7 - Lack of Education

“Are you sure you’re going to be alright?” Lucinda asked me anxiously whilst standing in the doorframe.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine,” I nodded my head.

“I have to get back to Albany because of James, but I’ve contacted the witch Kamilla and she’s agreed to watch over you and the Venari,” at this she placed a hand on my shoulder and looked me in the eye and said, “Trust no one, dear, you’ll never know who’ll turn on you.”

“What?  What do you mean?”  Widening my eyes as she pulled away I just stood there while she walked away to her car.

“Trust only your family, dear,” she called to me once she was seated in the car with the window rolled down.

“I have no family.”

“The witches and wizards are your family now,” she said, then drove off.

Sitting down on the top porch step I rested my face in my hands and let my mind wonder.  I daydreamed about running through the woods freely without having to be afraid all of the time, and being with my pack and having somewhere where I fitted in.  A better place that I’d give anything to be in, but I’m stuck being chased down and shot at.

Speaking about being shot, a sharp pain went my chest, and I lifted my shirt up to have a look at the bullet wound.  It looked better than it did yesterday, but it was still pretty bad.  The veins around the wound were still filled with black fluid and it was oozing out of gash, and I felt sick to the stomach.

Stop looking at it, your making me sick, Kate said and I laughed, dropping my shirt down.  The black fluid stained the white material and I crossed my arms to cover it as I watched people walk by.

“Dita?” a familiar voice broke through my haze and I looked up to see Nathan standing at the front gate to my house.  Dressed in casual blue jeans and black t-shirt, his hair ruffled as if he’d run his hands through repeatedly, and his stunning blue eyes, it just made me feel a whole lot better seeing him.  Whenever he was around it made me feel safer, more complete, and not so alone.

“Nathan, hi,” I replied with an easy smile that he returned with his lopsided grin and my heart fluttered inside my chest.

“What are you up to?” he asked me.  A sudden urge to run up and hug him washed over me and I moved my hands to grip the step to hold me where I was.  What is going on with me?

“Nothing really, just waiting for someone,” I said vaguely as a silver car pulled onto the street.

“Waiting for who?” he said curiously.

“A family friend,” I said and the car pulled up behind Nathan, and the person driving opened their door and stepped out.  She was wearing pale blue 5-inch heels patterned with pink flowers and straps across and around the ankles, a strapless pale pink dress that reached her mid thighs and set her dark skin off nicely.  Dark hair fell in waves over her shoulders and reached just past her shoulders and framing her flawless face perfectly.  Brown eyes stared back at me and it took my breath away at how perfect she was.

“Who is that?” Nathan said incredulously, his eyes following the girl’s every move as she walked up to the gate where he was standing, and my gut twisted as I recognized the look on his face.  Lust.

“Kamilla,” she said, pushing past Nathan and opening the gateway and walking up to me.  “Family friend of Alessia’s.”

“Alessia?  Who are you talking about?  That’s Dita,” he said, confusion written all over his face and my heart was stopped when Kamilla had let slip my real name.