Reflection

Steve, you know that I don't ask you for much. So when I ask you to help me now, you know that it's important right?

Please don't let her leave.

I can be better. I will be better. Make her believe it, Steve. I know you can because she trusts you, and she loves you. I don't think I have that luxury with her anymore.

I don't need to be her dad if that's not what she wants. I just want to be friends again, honestly. Tell her that for me. Please don't let her leave.

Steve, if she runs from me again, I'll never see her.

~~~

"That's not really your color," Clint smirked, watching Natasha study herself in the long mirror as she tried on her bridesmaid dress for its final fitting. "I think it's the red hair. Or maybe it's that sour look on your face."

"The color's fine, it's what she wants and I think it's pretty. I'm just a little uncomfortable, that's all."

"Bullshit," he coughed into his hand, looking up at her just as she stepped off the platform to slap his arm with a resounding snap that was sure to leave a bright handprint behind. "Hey, ow! What? You don't think that I can tell when you're lying?"

"You can't."

"Try me."

She leaned in close and rested her hands on either side of his chair, raising an eyebrow with a look of arrogance and satisfaction at what she had already done. "Your ass looks great in the suit that Steve picked for you guys."

"Too far, Romanoff. Too far."

"Aw, I'm sorry. Don't pout." Natasha leaned in further to give him a kiss, turning to seat herself on his lap when you entered the room, looking even more uncomfortable than she had been only moments before. They both turned to watch you step up on the platform in front of the group of mirrors, Nat standing to join you when she heard you mumbling to yourself.

"It's beautiful, (Y/N). How does it fit?"

"I look like a crème puff."

"You do not!" She turned her head quickly to Clint with a pleading look, needing his support.

"I'd take a bite outta that."

"Not helping, Barton!"

"Guys," you sighed, still staring at your reflection and barely hearing what they had said while in your trance, "I'm thinking about quitting."

The duo had quickly turned serious, with Clint jumping from his chair to stand at your other side, as if the two of them were trapping you into place. "That's ridiculous. You stop thinking about it right now, you hear me?"

"Clint..."

"No, Nat, I won't back down. I've played the voice of reason with her before and I'll do it again." He took your arm with a shake, jolting you into attention, "(Y/N), you're marrying Steve in like...days. Why would you possibly be thinking about quitting?"

"We don't have to live with the team. He can still be a part of it. I don't know if I can."

"Did something happen?" Natasha asked quietly, in sharp contrast to her counterpart. "Was it something that happened when you were gone with Thor?"

"No, nothing like that. Thor took care of me, like I told you guys. It's just that since my accident, I feel like I'm under constant watch and being treated like I'm breakable, when I think I've proven pretty well that I'm not." You looked down at Clint to accentuate your point, knowing that of all people, he had seen it first-hand.