Chapter 11

Chapter 12

Riley’s POV

I squeeze my eyes shut and grab the package, trying by best to adjust it before one of the gunmen see it.

“Go!” One yells, hitting me with the end of a gun and pushing me forward, making me lose my grip on the package. I step outside the door; I see the guys and the girls, and Zayn. Zayn sees me and jumps the barriers and starts running toward me.

I lift my hands and starts jogging toward him, but regret it soon after, the package falls completely, hitting the pavement. I stop and bend over to get it, I hear one of the men yell and start running to me, the police aim their guns, someone pulls Zayn back, I pick up the package and run just to be pulled back by one of the men.

I start kicking and screaming, clawing and doing everything in my power to keep myself alive. But it’s not enough, because the last thing I see is the bullet hole in my chest.

Zayn’s POV

“No!” I scream as Riley falls to the ground, one of those men from inside the bank shot her, took her package and left, like they literally left, they jumped in the back of a van and left.

Cops went into the bank, some went to Riley, and others chased the men. I just stood there frozen.

I saw things move around me, but it was all blurry and in slow motion, I saw an ambulance come and load Riley into the back, I felt arms push me until I was in the ambulance too. The doors slammed and that’s what woke me from my trance, I hadn’t noticed tears streaking my face.

“We are losing her!” One of the paramedics yelled

“We are here!” Another yelled back, the doors opened and I jumped out, Riley was transferred to another bed and they took her into the hospital.

“We lost her, let’s move!” A doctor ordered.  I froze again, I couldn’t move, I couldn’t feel, I didn’t know it was raining until I felt nine pair of arms somehow wrap around me. I woke up from my trance again to see the boys and the girls all hugging me, the girls were crying and the boys were sending me reassuring smiles. Somehow I found Liam’s shoulder and cried into it for what felt like hours, out in the cold rain.

Somehow I ended up in the waiting room, along with my friends, Riley’s grandparents and Luke. A few moments later a colored woman strolled in, she was wearing a suit and was dressed all fancy, she had paperwork and a clipboard and I couldn’t help but wonder if she had left work to come see a family member.

I look over to Eliza, Lilith, Ellie and Hayley, Riley’s best friends. She loved these girls and I know the feeling was mutual, the girls were huddled together crying, and Lilith rarely ever cried, she was the ‘strong’ one. I looked over to the boys, they didn’t have to be here, and they loved Riley just as much as the girls did because we were all best friends, but they were here to support me, because they were the best mates I could ever ask for. My eyes trailed over to Riley’s grandparents, the only thing they had left of Riley’s parents. Riley was everything to them, Riley loved them and they loved Riley so much, they did so much for her, and she did so much for them in return, the amount of love in that family was crazy. I could only hope like something like that in my family that I will have one day.

Lastly, I look to Luke, that’s his mother in there, if she doesn’t make it out, what will happen with him? She said her grandparents can’t provide for him because neither of them have jobs and DHS won’t allow it. He would probably be put in the system.

My thoughts are cut short by a nurse walking in and calling for ‘Miss Yang’s family’ I jump to my feet along with everyone else in the room except for the colored lady from earlier.

The nurse sends us quizzical looks before walking to her grandparents; I go to stand by them.

“I am sorry.” She begins “She never made out of surgery.”