55⁒

home - deebs 

Here comes the sun a day too late.

I pour an abusive glass of orange juice. I fill it up to the rim and carefully bring it to my big brother. Xavier. The vagabond.

His apple smoke wood hair is unruly. His loopy curls are tightly knit together, resembling dreads. His arms bulge from his sleeves. Last I saw him, he was scrawny like me.

"Wow," I say, out out of tune. I give him a sarcastic look to complete the bundle. "I didn't know homelessness comes with free gym membership."

He gulps down his fresh juice. I tilt my chin up a bit.

Xavier shrugs, "The world is my gym."

"Hippie," I scorn.

Another thing that rolls in my mind is Étienne. He's at practice. He said he'll be in late.

"Speaking about gyms," he adds, observing his empty cup. "Who's gym bag is that?"

I then follow his gaze to across the futon. Of course Étienne's stuff are lying around. I made no efforts in cleaning.

"Mine. Obviously," I lie skillfully.

His gaze crosses the four walls, then me.

"Size ten shoes?" he asks.

I sigh and lean back in the sofa, "Don't judge me."

He grins a bit, figuring that I'm making no efforts to hide the fact that a grown ass man is staying here too.

"How's school going for you?" he now asks.

"Just know that I can resuscitate you, if the time comes."

He smiles, as though approving.

"And you?" I flip the switch, "Have you gotten your life together?"

"I enjoy not having responsibilities."

It doesn't take a smart person to realize how related we are.

"But driving from coast to coast, banging girls, and doing drugs... isn't the best life," I lecture.

He eyes me, annoyed already.

"That's not what I do," he defends.

"What else is there for you to do?" I ask him, knowingly.

I feel like he's going to say that he's searching for himself or some new age stuff. I roll my eyes nonetheless.

"Responsibilities aren't that scary, you know. It's nice waking up in the morning and somehow contributing to society," I say.

Then he adds, "Society is corrupt."

"I'm going to punch you."

"Don't. You'll just hurt yourself," he gets up.

I roll my eyes some more.

"Wouldn't it be nice to find a nice girl and settle down. Buy a house to live in."

Xavier shrugs, which explains how he prefers freedom. He mines in the fridge, as if my juice offering isn't enough to cover costs.

"What did you do in California?" I ask, curious.

He shrugs again, which means using condom after condom.

Then he takes ingredients out that I didn't know I had. He's so calm, but must have so many secrets.

I know he'll leave again tonight. Maybe meet a girl on the way downstairs to his truck. She'll probably have a generic name and comment on how his eyes are blue like the ocean.