67⁒

her - majid jordan

"When are you going to get ready?" I say, because Étienne is still playing video games.

"In a minute," she mumbles.

I walk in the bathroom with my makeup bag. I take my precious time with the dangerous eyeliner. One unwanted move and I'll lose my vision.

"I want to get there early enough to choose my seat."

He keeps playing his games.

"I'm going to leave without you, huh," I add.

I dig for my mascara. One coat. Then, two. I set that aside and grab my brush. I frantically brush my hair. Soon, lazy head appears.

"You're wearing that?" I ask, staring at his shirt with disgust.

"J'ai pas d'autres chemises," he mumbles.

"Black one," I command.

He sighs and returns to the dresser. We're already late for one of my friend's birthday party. She's holding it downtown at some club. I haven't gone partying in a while, to be honest. I promise myself not to go overboard with the drinks. I spritz some perfume on my chest and end up sneezing. Étienne was invited too. We've never been to the same party, I don't think. I push my feet in my heels.

·•●⦁·

I ordered champagne, because I'm not paying for it. We sing happy birthday. I dance with Alex. We decide that 1 in the morning is time to go home.

"Where's Étienne?" Alex asks me.

"I don't know," I answer.

We hop into some guy I don't know's car, because he said he'll drive us all home. Tomas even squeezes in with us. He's well wasted. I give Alex one of those looks. Étienne can find his way home. I don't want to disturb him from his bro-time with his buddies. Besides, he has his own keys now. I just hope he's not as wasted as Tomas over here who's laughing non-stop.

I play rock-paper-scissors with Alex until we pull up to my place. I blow kisses and say goodbye.

I get to the entrance and dig my bra. My phone comes out, but no keys. And then I swear. My mom says I'm not supposed to swear, but she would have allowed me if she saw my dreadful situation. I text Alex right away to come back and get me. But after twenty minutes of waiting, I'm guessing she never got to check her phone. I close my eyes and cross my arms. I bet she's blowing Tomas. I groan heavily and sit on the steps. I obviously make the worst decisions. How'd I forget to bring my key? Huh? Jeez. I text Étienne. He too doesn't reply. I don't even know if he's alive.

And as if God is punishing me... or the devil tempting me—it's hard to discern the two, Jacob (of all people) comes trailing down from the parking lot.

"Hm," is what he says when he sees me.

"Hmmm," is what I say back.

He smiles, looking me over some more, "How was the party?"

I guess he guesses I went to a party since I'm all dolled up and in heels. Plus, it's 2 in the freaking morning.

"I had a blast," I show my teeth with a fake smile, "How was your party?"

he shakes his head, walking up to the door. I have to take a step back to give him room to reach the lock.

"I didn't go partying," he says.

So, where did he went to come home so late? I ask myself—not to him, of course. I don't care.

"Right, because then you would have a girl on your arm," I say with a condescending tone.